Whoops, looks like you’ve found an older tier list. Here’s the new tier list 8.10.
Welcome to the Mobalytics Predictive Tier List for League of Legends!
This list was curated in collaboration with our analyst, Hewitt “prohibit” Benson, and our Challenger Coach, Adam “Morïarty” Isles. Unlike most tier lists, we publish ours before, or as a patch goes live, according to the predictions of our in-house experts.
Here are the Patch 7.20 notes for reference.
If you have any questions about our choices or process, ask us on Discord!
The Format and Methodology
Our tier list is ranked by what we believe are the best champions for climbing Solo Queue in Patch 7.20. They will be ranked as Optimal (S-tier), Great (A-tier), or Good (B-tier) by their overall climbing potential and as Intense, Hard (a new addition), Moderate, or Simple according to the difficulty of utilizing their moveset to their highest level.
If you’re a skillful player with the time to learn an Optimal champion with Intense Difficulty, we believe you’ll be able to make great strides in climbing. If you’re a lower level player that wants to climb but has less time to learn the intricacies of a complex champion, it may be a better option to choose a Great or Good champion with Simple Difficulty.
To categorize these champions, we considered factors such as buffs and nerfs, overall meta shifts, and item changes. We also looked at champion win rates from Lolalytics and considered our own in-game experiences in high-elo Solo Queue.
A quick disclaimer: If a champion isn’t on our Tier List, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you can’t climb with them. You’ll just have to put in more effort to get similar results as our Optimal, Great, and Good choices for climbing. Remember that this is a PREDICTIVE Tier list – we will be wrong on things, but we’re confident that we’ll be more right than wrong.
- In a meta where Top champs aren’t doing so hot in terms of carry potential, Akali has been the answer for many high-elo Top laners. Her ability to snowball against tanks or bruisers leaves her open to roam to the bot lane in search of squishy Ardent Supports. Expect to see her Top often as the season closes.
- Whenever a meta revolves around bot lane, TF tends to find his way back into prominence. His ability to roam and crush bot lane is unmatched at the moment. He also has a fairly easy laning phase due to the lack of assassins. Try out the new Rod of Ages, Lich Bane, Rapid Firecannon build if you don’t need a Zhonya’s as a third item if you want to have amazing pick potential.
- This one is mostly a prediction – with the change to Support items, we believe that Draven will be able to bully and take advantage of passive lanes if he’s paired with champions like Alistar. We believe he’ll be snowballing his way back to Optimal.
- The new Xin brings all of his old early game skirmish and ganking power and combines them with his new ability to survive in late game team fights thanks to his ultimate. In a meta where long-range ADCs are popular, he is able to stay alive much longer than most Junglers when faced against a Kog or Trist. Due to his scaling problem being solved a bit, his win rate has shot up and we now see him as a Great pick.
- Eve’s rework will place her as a Good pick this patch. The meta is currently very late game team fight oriented and her strengths lie in a mid game skirmish and split push meta. Her ability to snowball is quite strong so you may see her be able to close out games before the late game hits. Note that if this doesn’t happen, she will be fairly useless, especially if she falls behind. So if you’re an Eve player, make sure to capitalize on this window where you have an advantage over late game scalers.
- Ryze is going straight to Great this patch. With the meta leaning toward scaling and team fighting, Ryze will have the chance to really shine. Along with the Abyssal Mask build which makes his time against AP burst champs a lot easier, it becomes much harder to stop Ryze from being impactful since he has a safe lane phase. He’s able to split-push mid game for farm, using his ultimate as a reliable escape. Once the late game hits, his DPS in fights becomes incredibly potent, earning him his spot on our list.
On the decline
- The Star Forger falls out of Optimal this patch following his decrease in win rate. His downfall has come about due to his inability to deal enough damage in the mid to late game against the hyper carry + Ardent Support combo. Champions who give him a hard time, like TF or Ryze are also increasing in popularity and will keep him in check.
As always, we welcome all discussion and feedback. If you have any questions about picks that we didn’t expand on or would like to let us know how you feel about Patch 7.20 and our predictions in general, join us in our Discord!