Our Runes Series will be covering each of the five major trees, looking at the different runes within each and discussing how they will be best used. Our experts will be analyzing which champions, items, and mentalities will likely be most effective in using each one. If you’re looking for another tree, here are Precision, Domination, Sorcery, and Inspiration.
Resolve: The art of being immortal (and more annoying)
Grasp of the Undying
- Grasp will be a great tool for tanky champs (mostly in the top lane) that want to increase their survivability, sustain, and add a bit of magic damage.
- This rune becomes better the longer the game goes due to its scaling potential.
- Champions like Sion and Trundle will by delving into the Undying arts.
- Similar to Courage of the Colossus, this Keystone will be a great choice for engage champions with tons of CC who want to have tankiness that will help them get out alive after they start the fight.
- Expect champions like Amumu and Malphite to opt for this to amplify their playmaking ultimates.
- This will be an ideal choice for bodyguards that want to protect their VIP at all costs.
- Champions like Alistar and Braum.
- If you like playing champs that utilize Flash or Ghost to engage this may be a good choice for you.
- It will also give some survivability for Teleport flanks, keep in mind the 10 second window.
- Give it a try with champs like Singed, Hecarim, Darius and Garen.
- Demolish is a great tool for split-pushers, especially tanks.
- It will open up options for tanks that don’t normally split push and help them keep up with their peers.
- Shen, Trundle, and Gnar are great examples of champs you’d want to consider Demolish on.
Font of Life
- The spiritual successor to Bond of Stone – except now it also heals yourself, opening up possibilities for solo play.
- Olaf, Braum, Leona, and Gnar among others may want to consider Font.
- Facing a ton of AD damage? Take this.
- Facing a ton of AP damage? Take this.
- Expecting a slow lane phase and the game to go into the late game? Take this.
- Consider this rune if you expect matches to go a long time because it gains value with time.
- Any fighter or tank would make a good pairing.
- This will really boost compositions that want to sustain and outlast their opponents.
- Great for tanks like Mundo and Maokai or with Soraka/Sona/Taric on your team.
- Second Wind provides more staying power in lane and allows champs to become immovable forces due to the regen.
- This is an almost perfect pairing with anyone from the Juggernaut sub-class.
Resolve + Any path = +130 Health
- Tanky bruisers should consider using Overheal and any of the Legend runes, specifically Legend: Tenacity.
- Domination will give an extra boost to bruiser Junglers that want some early game oomph and additional snowball potential.
- Tanks and bruiser Junglers can benefit from the additional movement speed bonuses that Sorcery offers.
- It can also be a good choice for tanky top laners that want stronger late game damage.
- Top laners who want more sustain, income, and scaling, or aggressive bruiser Junglers that are looking to jumpstart an early snowball may want to consider this pairing.
Thanks for reading! Our next Rune Series article will be on Inspiration so stay tuned. For more discussion or questions for our coaches about Resolve, drop by our Discord. To learn more about the other trees, check out Precision, Domination, Sorcery, and Inspiration.