We’ve launched a brand new Mobalytics Desktop App! It has all the features you know and love along with some new ones such as imported builds, pick/ban recommendations live at champ select, as well as a brand new Post Game which gives you badges based on your highlights and lowlights and ranks you from 1st – 10th relative to all the players in your game.
To celebrate the launch we’re also holding a giveaway with rare prizes such as a Mobalytics Collector’s Edition Box, Mobalytics Premium subscriptions, hoodies, and T-shirts.
Welcome to the Mobalytics Predictive Tier List for League of Legends for Patch 9.18!
For those of you who are in a rush or already in champion select, here is a list of the strongest champions for every role in Patch 9.18.
LoL Tier List 9.18
For everybody else, we have prepared much more:
Here are the Official League 9.18 Patch Notes for reference.
If you have any questions about our choices or process, ask us on Discord!
Now that you know the best champions for LoL, get the best champions for Teamfight Tactics with our new TFT tier list!
Psss! Aren’t you wondering why Mobalytics Summoners enjoy the game more and climb faster? Join us; 100% free!
This list was curated in collaboration with our analyst, Hewitt “prohibit” Benson, our Challenger Coach, Adam “Morïarty” Isles, Will “Picklepants” Burton, and our newest Challenger jungle expert, “Flaress”. Unlike most tier lists, we publish ours before, or as a patch goes live, according to the predictions of our in-house experts.
- We have two tier lists, one for the majority of the player base and one for high ELO. There are many smart people who have good thoughts on what’s strong, but our tier list is specifically focused on helping you progress in your rank now.
- The lines between these lists are not black and white, we recommend using the Majority-ELO list until around Diamond where switching to High-ELO becomes more effective. We also recommend using the Majority ELO tier list to play your off role!
- Our difficulty system relies on “Skill Floor”, meaning that a Simple champion will yield results faster (around 5-10 games of learning)
- If a champion has a higher skill floor (Hard or Severe), it will take more time to learn them (20-50 games +) but you will be rewarded with better results over time whereas a Simple champion may fall off as you climb higher.
If you’re wondering how we make our tier list, check out our video explanation! For a more in-depth explanation for our methodology, head to the bottom of the article.
If you’re following our tier list, we know that you want to climb as fast and efficiently as possible. Sign up for our platform to use the best improvement tools for League of Legends!
General LoL Tier List for Patch 9.18
Top Tier List:
- Optimal (S-tier): Kled, Singed, Urgot, Yorick, Illaoi, Mordekaiser, Teemo, Garen, Malphite, Nasus
- Great (A-tier): Shen, Darius, Renekton, Swain, Jax, Kayle, Pantheon, Tryndamere, Dr. Mundo, Volibear
- Good (B-tier): Fiora, Yasuo, Rumble, Cassiopeia, Kennen, Sion, Quinn
Jungle Tier List:
- Optimal (S-tier): Nunu + Willump, Ekko, Master Yi, Jax, Vi, Volibear, Amumu, Nocturne
- Great (A-tier): Elise, Kha’Zix, Hecarim, Rammus, Udyr, Jarvan IV, Zac, Dr.Mundo
- Good (B-tier): Lee Sin, Shaco, Rek’Sai, Kindred, Karthus, Taliyah Fiddlesticks, Kayn, Xin Zhao, Graves, Shyvana, Nocturne, Malphite, Pantheon
Mid Lane Tier List:
- Optimal (S-tier): Fizz, Vel’Koz, Ahri, Swain, Diana, Malzahar, Lux
- Great (A-tier): Zed, Katarina, Yasuo, Pyke, Ekko, Cassiopeia, Anivia, Xerath, Mordekaiser, Morgana, Zilean, Veigar, Malphite, Annie
- Good (B-tier): Syndra, LeBlanc, Twisted Fate, Kassadin, Orianna, Vladimir, Heimerdinger, Rumble, Neeko, Galio, Pantheon, Brand, Ziggs
ADC Tier List:
- Optimal (S-tier): Yasuo, Draven, Jhin, Jinx, Miss Fortune
- Great (A-tier): Kai’Sa, Vayne, Lucian, Twitch, Xayah, Caitlyn, Kog’Maw, Swain, Sivir, Xayah, Ashe
- Good (B-tier): Ezreal, Varus, Tristana
Support Tier List:
- Optimal (S-tier): Pyke, Janna, Nami, Swain, Zyra, Brand, Soraka, Nautilus
- Great (A-tier): Thresh, Rakan, Bard, Xerath, Taric, Vel’Koz, Zilean, Morgana, Blitzcrank, Leona, Sona, Nautilus
- Good (B-tier): Lulu, Alistar, Fiddlesticks, Lux, Annie, Miss Fortune
Mordekaiser – Top (Adam – “Moriarty”)
“Morde has been pretty close to S tier for a while now and I’m giving him the spotlight he deserves as my pick of the patch. His ability to destroy melee champions is perfect for this meta because they’re very popular in both solo lanes. His only match is pretty much just Illaoi in this regard.
Being able to send people to the shadow realm while you yell “1v1 me noob” is pretty nice but the champ also does such extreme amounts of damage when you’re ahead. If you proc your passive you can just stand next to the person and watch it kill them on its own while you spam laugh.
I highly recommend anyone who enjoys the old school dueling aspect of top lane to try him out because you won’t need to wait until post game lobby to force people to 1v1 you.
Nocturne – Jungle (Flaress)
“Nocturne is the best skirmishing jungler in the game since his spellshield and Fear + Lethal Tempo will win you any 1v1.
It’s a common conception that he is a hard farming jungler to 6. However, your level 3 is near the top of the list when it comes to ganking power spikes.
Personally, it feels like Nocturne is the best blind pick jungler as nobody in the game can skirmish you in the early parts of the game, especially if he gets the insane attack speed bonus from proccing his W spellshield most junglers currently struggle to beat him 1v1.
Ekko – Mid (Pekin Woof)
“We have already seen some Ekko in some professional matches (SKT) prior to his buffs so now he will be getting stronger. This champion has received back to back to buffs so we can expect him to be fairly strong on 9.18 His W cost change (30 mana level 1) means you can now spam the ability in lane from fog of war without worrying about mana.
Runes are Electrocute – Taste of Blood – Ghost Poro – Ravenous Hunter | Manaflow Band / Absolute Focus. MAX Q -> E -> W
Build path – > Corrupting Potion -> Dark Seal -> Protobelt -> Sorc Boots -> Lich Bane -> Zhyona’ss -> Deathcap -> Void/Morello
Miss Fortune – ADC (Hewitt “prohibit” Benson)
“Miss Fortune never had a one point wonder build. After maxing her Q, she has to choose between maxing her AoE slow or more DPS and mobility.
This change lets Miss Fortune get the AoE utility of her Make it Rain (E) in just one point which allows her to get the best of both worlds.
She was already close to S-tier for the normal list so think this will push her over the edge and make her an optimal pick for most players.“
Miss Fortune – Support (Will “Picklepants” Burton)
“While it’s unlikely Miss Fortune will be the best support this patch, with the buffs that are coming in hot, she will become a viable support once again.
With what feels like the perfect timing for Worlds, the buff to Miss Fortune E has made her a much more potent and difficult laner to play against.
The slow increase will now cripple the slowest of ADCs, and with the large range of this ability, she will be able to poke from afar, and be able to hold her own even into the toughest of matchups.
Some of Miss Fortunes more challenging opponents are not very strong anymore or are not played as much, which makes Miss Fortune a much safer pick compared to before.“
High-ELO LoL Tier List for Patch 9.18
Best High-ELO Top Champions for 9.18:
- Optimal (S-tier): Kled, Jax
- Great (A-tier): Gangplank, Camille, Aatrox, Akali, Cassiopeia, Singed, Rumble, Vladimir, Darius, Renekton, Shen, Kennen, Pantheon, Quinn
- Good (B-tier): Fiora, Riven, Rengar, Jayce, Irelia, Illaoi, Teemo, Urgot, Neeko, Mordekaiser, Poppy, Dr. Mundo, Karma, Tryndamere
Best High-ELO Jungle Champions for 9.18:
- Optimal (S-tier): Rengar, Nidalee, Kha’Zix, Taliyah, Karthus
- Great (A-tier): Rek’Sai, Lee Sin, Elise, Evelynn, Kindred, Nunu + Willump, Ekko, Pantheon, Jarvan IV, Vi, Hecarim, Olaf
- Good (B-tier): Shaco, Ivern, Gragas, Xin Zhao, Kayn, Graves, Skarner, Trundle, Zac, Warwick, Nocturne
Best High-ELO Mid Lane Champions for 9.18:
- Optimal (S-tier): Katarina, Qiyana, Talon
- Great (A-tier): Zoe, Zed, Akali, Syndra, Taliyah, Rumble, Cassiopeia, Twisted Fate, Vladimir, Zilean, Sylas, Ahri, Fizz, Galio
- Good (B-tier): Yasuo, Aurelion Sol, Irelia, LeBlanc, Orianna, Ekko, Anivia, Xerath, Vel’Koz, Swain, Neeko, Kassadin, Malzahar, Pantheon, Annie
Best High-ELO ADC Champions for 9.18:
- Optimal (S-tier): Draven, Kai’Sa
- Great (A-tier): Syndra, Yasuo, Vayne, Twitch, Caitlyn, Jhin, Xayah, Ashe, Jinx, Tristana, Miss Fortune
- Good (B-tier): Kalista, Ezreal, Lucian, Varus, Kog’Maw, Swain, Sivir
Best High-ELO Support Champions for 9.18:
- Optimal (S-tier): Pyke, Rakan, Thresh, Janna
- Great (A-tier): Bard, Taric, Nami, Leona, Nautilus, Zyra, Soraka
- Good (B-tier): Alistar, Lulu, Xerath, Yuumi, Fiddlesticks, Braum, Morgana, Vel’Koz, Blitzcrank, Zilean, Sona, Lux
Format and Methodology
To improve the accuracy, usefulness, and understanding of our Tier List, we’ve decided to split it into two lists – one for the wide majority of the player base, and another intended for high elo. The goal of our list is to give the best recommendations for what we think will help you best climb in solo queue. Previously, our placements could often conflict with what players saw in a Challenger player’s stream or in pro-play. Often times, a champ could be very strong in a high-skilled players hands but we didn’t feel right endorsing the champ for a lower-skill player to pick up. Having two lists will allow us to make better and more relevant judgments across the spectrum.
We’ll also be changing our difficulty rating system from Learning Curve to “Skill Floor”. After receiving feedback from the community, we realized that some were associating Learning Curve with including the full potential (Skill Ceiling) of a champion. We want to avoid that for the general list and want the definition to lean more towards how long it would take to start seeing a champion’s power level on our list in terms of the number of games invested.
Let’s say you’re debating between learning and climbing with Jax (A-tier | Simple) or Rengar (A-tier | Severe) – you’re going to want to go with Jax. Why? This is because Jax has a lower skill floor and would require less games to play at an A-Tier level in solo queue. If you tried to pick up Rengar, you wouldn’t get the full value of A-tier until after about 15 matches of practice whereas with Jax, you would get that full 15 everytime you play him.
Another example would be between Nidalee (S-tier | Intense) vs Xin Zhao (B-Tier | Simple). Let’s say you’re about to play your last match before promos and you get auto-filled to Jungle (a role you’re not too familiar with). Even though he’s lower on the list, you’d be better off choosing Xin because you don’t have the required number of games to break the skill floor of Nidalee.
Higher skill floor champions will scale better with time investment – Severe champs will outperform Simple champs in the long run because Simple champs generally have their weaknesses exposed the higher you climb.
So if your question is, “How long until I’ll start seeing results?”, the answer would be harder = longer time, easier = shorter time. If your question is. “Will this champion still be strong as I climb in ranks?”, the answer would be harder = moreso, easier = less so.
Disclaimer #1: If a champion isn’t on our Tier List, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you can’t climb with them. You’ll just have to put in more effort to get similar results as our Optimal, Great, and Good choices for climbing.
Disclaimer #2: This list is meant to evaluate the champions that we believe are best for climbing Solo Queue. Although there can certainly be some overlap, we are NOT looking to name the champions that are the best in pro-play or organized, competitive 5 on 5. This is why champs that require a ton of team coordination such as Ryze, may not be included or ranked highly.
As always, we welcome all discussion and feedback. If you have any questions about picks that we didn’t expand on or would like to let us know how you feel about Patch 9.18 and our predictions in general, join us in our Discord! If you’re wondering how we make our tier list, check out our video explanation.