In this patch breakdown, we’ll analyze the most impactful changes for the 10.14 League of Legends patch update. We’ll discuss the buffs, nerfs, and adjustments regarding champions, items, and Summoner’s Rift itself to understand the patch’s effect on the meta for all roles.
We recommend following along with the official 10.14 patch notes since we won’t be listing all the specific stat changes, but rather, focusing on the impact of the changes and the champions updated place in the current meta.
Buffs, nerfs, and adjustments
- Alistar is getting a buff to Q, one of his best and signature abilities.
- Overall a nice change since his Q was on a much longer cooldown in comparison to his W in the early game.
- Now that they’re very similar, he can go for his main combo more often.
- Ezreal has always been a safe ADC thanks to his E and Q.
- By increasing his E’s cooldown across the board, he’ll have more windows where he can be punished and it’ll be riskier for him to use it aggressively.
Karthus (powershift, nerfed for Jungle, buffed for Mid)
- Karthus’s base health and movement speed have slightly increased. These are always a welcomed sight for immobile mages.
- His Q damage has also received a damage increase against champions which will help him regardless of his role.
- However, he now will deal reduced damage to monsters (jungle camps). This will affect him slightly in the jungle, but not affect his mid lane performance.
- His E will now restore mana regardless of if it’s activated or not. The tick rate has also increased – instead of dealing damage once per second, it now deals damage 4 times per second, giving him more consistency.
- Kha’Zix’s isolated target damage has increased from 100% to 120%, this will improve his early game since champions are less likely to be grouped.
- This will also slightly improve his 1v1 dueling ability.
Pyke (powershift, nerfed for Mid, buffed for Support)
- Magic resist and armor growth has slightly decreased. These base stats will make him overall slightly less tanky.
- The cost of his Q and its cooldown has also decreased. This will make him a more dominant laner and he’ll be able to go for picks more frequently.
- The base damage on his Q has increased to go with the cooldown and cost changes.
- His W bonus movement speed has been reduced to 40% at all ranks. This will make him a little more squishy and less mobile as the game goes along. It’s a very nice change for players against Pyke but devastating for Pyke mains.
- Finally, the base damage on his E has increased. This will increase his kill pressure in lane and make trading more effective for him. While the damage isn’t huge, any extra damage is good.
- Riven’s Passive bonus damage has increased so she will have improved trading during lane phase.
- This buff is aimed at improving her more damage-oriented builds over the tanky meta ones that she currently uses.
- Sejuani’s E base damage has increased, this will make her stronger when trading and skirmishing.
- The cooldown of frost has also decreased to 8 seconds meaning that stunned enemies can get affected with frost again quicker than before.
- The bonus attack speed on Trundle’s W has deceased in the early game. This will make his early game attack-speed-steroid less prominent, but it will not make a difference in the later stages of the game.
- Varus has been oppressive for a while now so he’s receiving a hit to his laning phase. His teamfighting phase is relatively untouched.
- His Q max bonus damage now scales from total attack damage instead of being 150% total attack damage.
- The damage on his E has also decreased in the early game. This will impact his Comet and poke oriented builds.
- Volibear has been a beast since receiving his buffs so he’s receiving some well-deserved nerfs in the form of a decreased auto-attack speed and reduced healing from jungle camps.
- His W healing has also been halved on monsters. Before, the healing was 50% on minions only, but now it’s 50% on minions and 50% on monsters.
- Wukong’s knockup duration on Cyclone has slightly decreased so his players may want to cancel his Ultimate earlier now to get the secondary knockup.
- This will reduce his obnoxious play style in lane and in team fights…only slightly though.
- Zed’s W projectile speed has been increased. This will make it more fluid, easier to land, and will make his combos harder to deal with.
- Additionally, the cooldown on his W is also reduced in the early game which will help him trade more often and help him evade ganks.
- Predator has been underutilized so it’s receiving some additional damage growth and a decreased cooldown which will help Predator Junglers like Gragas.
- Ghost has been seeing more recently and it’s getting even more love with increased bonus movement speed throughout the game. This will make champions like Darius into NASCAR racers.
Thank you for reading, we hope you enjoyed this patch breakdown. How do you feel about this patch? Let us know in the comments. As always, if you have any questions, find us in our Discord!
If you have any questions or want to learn more, check out PicklePants stream.