League of Legends 11.5 Patch Notes Breakdown
In this patch breakdown, we’ll analyze the most impactful changes for the 11.5 League of Legends patch update.
We’ll discuss the buffs, nerfs, and adjustments regarding champions, items, and Summoner’s Rift itself to understand the patch’s effect on the meta for all roles.
We recommend following along with the official 11.5 patch notes since we won’t be listing all the specific stat changes, but rather, focusing on the impact of the changes and the champions updated place in the current meta.
If you’re wondering how these changes will affect the meta, check out our LoL champion tier list!
Buffs, nerfs, and adjustments
- Azir’s Sand Soldiers will now deal less damage at all ranks. This will make their autos less potent throughout the game.
- Gragas has been a consistent pick in the top lane as of late. This nerf will affect both top and jungle Gragas.
- His Q now has a flat mana cost. This means the Gragas will need to be less trigger happy thanks to the additional mana costs.
- Jax base damage growth has increased. This is going to allow him to deal a little more damage overall. While the damage growth doesn’t seem a lot, it could be the defining factor in a trade.
- Her Q has a lower cooldown at all ranks. This is a good buff to Karma and will allow her to use her Q to poke more frequently.
- We should see Karma being played in the mid and top lane again soon.
- Kog’s W will deal extra bonus damage in the late ranks. This is a good buff to Kog’Maw and will make it easier for him to deal with tanks like Malphite or Maokai.
Master Yi (buffed)
- Master Yi’s base Wuju Style damage has increased. This change aims to help him clear the jungle after the 11.1 nerfs, but it will have a knock-on effect and make him a stronger duelist overall.
- Pyke’s Passive has been adjusted slightly. Instead of storing a large portion of damage he’s recently taken, he now stores less damage- but gets additional lethality.
- He will store more health and gain more damage when there are more than 2 enemies nearby.
- This change is aimed to nerf mid lane Pyke’s sustain while being somewhat a buff to support Pyke. Mid Pyke will benefit from this change in team fights though.
- Qiyana’s W bonus damage has increased and so has the AP scaling. This will make her W a better trading tool overall.
- Her Ultimate will also deal more damage at ranks 11 and 16. An excellent buff for Qiyana and will improve her play in the mid and jungle roles.
- In late game team fights, she will be a monster if the enemy groups in the jungle.
- Rammus has less base health growth in patch 11.5.
- He will be less tanky overall and lose over 200 extra health due to this nerf. This could be the difference between living and dying in team fights.
- Rell has less armor at level 1. It will make her slightly weaker in the very early game.
- Both instances of her W have had their cooldown increased. For Rell, this will make it harder for her to escape skirmishes when she is dismounted. But, for everyone fighting Rell, this is a welcomed nerf.
- She will be less obnoxious (hopefully) overall.
- Why are we buffing this champion Riot?
- Samira’s base damage growth has risen slightly. She will now deal more damage in trades- not by much but, it could make the difference and get her a kill.
- Samira’s Q damage ratio has risen in the later ranks. Again, it’s not much, but it will allow her Q to deal more damage and will help her poke hit harder.
- The second part of Sejuani’s W has been buffed. The damage isn’t much but is going to be quite useful once Sejuani gets more health and in the later parts of the game,
Seraphine (nerfed, what a shame!)
- Let’s start with her Ultimate. The Ultimate’s cooldown is increased at ranks 1 and 2; she’ll be unable to go for as many picks before level 11.
- For her Passive, they’ve removed the Subsequent Note damage decay from her kit. They’ve now introduced Backup vocals…Back up, which are notes from allies will only deal 25% of the Seraphine’s Note damage.
- Note that damage ratios have changed slightly.
- Shaco’s W base damage has been decreased, and so has the single target damage. He will be weaker in a 1v1 fight with an enemy champion.
- However, Jack in the Box will deal additional damage to monsters, which will help him in the jungle.
- Trundle’s Q cooldown has been reduced ever so slightly. It’s a good buff, but I don’t know how impactful it will be. It will help him clear the jungle and trade with the enemy.
- Twitch’s Passive AP scaling is slightly down. His AP build will be ever so marginally worse off.
- For his Ultimate, the bonus damage is up slightly, and the duration has been increased too. An excellent buff for Twitch which will make his team fight presence much stronger.
- Udyr’s base health growth has been toned down slightly.
- His Pheonix Stance will deal less damage overall.
- It is a good nerf for Udyr, but he will still be incredibly annoying to deal with even with these nerfs.
- Not strictly a nerf overall, but Riot have fixed some bugs for him. Most notably, they have removed the turret dodging aspect to his Passive.
- This change is aimed to empower abilities and champions who use their abilities often. It’s going to be very useful on champs who use their abilities often like Varus or Ezreal.
- Basic attacks and abilities will deal max mana damage as bonus damage. Melee abilities will deal more damage too.
- All abilities will deal more AD as bonus damage against champions.
- The strikebreaker range has increased, and so has the speed.
- The slow decay on Stridebacker has been reduced, and so has the damage.
- A good change overall and will still be a valued pickup for champions such as Gnar.
- Guinsoo’s Wrath Passive has changed slightly. You’ll now convert every 1% crit into 2 bonus damage on hit. The on hit conversion is also affected by damage modifiers.
- This will be weaker on Senna but better on many other champions and could be picked up by other champions like Vayne or Varus.
- Serpents was confusing, so they’ve tried to fix it. Shield Reaver has been updated and now dealing damage to a target reduces the shield they get for 3 seconds.
- Riot has noted that “…Imagine Grievous Wounds for shields, but with extra profits.” So yeah, take that as you wish. It will still be a situational item and should be brought against heavy shielding teams like Ivern + Lulu or Ivern + Karma etc.
Maw of Malmortius
- The gold cost of Maw has been reduced. It will help any champ who needs a magic resistance defensive item. It is good against heavy AP team comps with multiple mages.
- The cost of Black Cleaver has gone down.
- You gain more health with this item. However, you no longer deal bonus physical damage.
- It has a new Rage Passive though. Dealing damage to a champion grants extra movement speed, which could help with kiting.
- It could be useful on champions like Renekton or Darius, but there are still way stronger items out there, so I don’t know if this will adjust their build at all.
Thank you for reading, we hope you enjoyed this patch breakdown. How do you feel about this patch? Let us know in the comments. As always, if you have any questions, find us in our Discord!
If you have any questions or want to learn more, check out PicklePants’s stream.