Q&A: Patch 9.5’s Tier List
Every patch, our experts curate a predictive tier list for climbing solo queue. We created this Q&A series to address the most common questions for each individual tier list, this one is for Patch 9.5. If you’d like your question to be answered, leave a comment in our tier list article, in our Youtube video’s comments, or send us a message in our Discord.
We don’t answer every question but we do read all of them so you always have a chance! Note that some answers within this article may be slightly altered for readability.
1. Where is Neeko for Top and ADC?
2. How’s Pyke since his nerfs?
3. Our thoughts on Brand for Mid and in general?
4. Where is Poppy for Jungle or Top?
5. Which build is better for Teemo, on-hit or classic?
6. Is Gnar bad right now?
7. Why is Rengar never on the normal-ELO list and always in the high-ELO list?
Questions and Answers
1. “What about Neeko Top/ADC?” – darkskyxLoL
- We’re going to assume that you’re talking about the rise of her dominant on-hit build. It was broken at the beginning of the patch but received hotfixes that made Neeko much more reasonable.
- We’ll be keeping an eye on how she does after the hotfix but if you’re wondering how to build her on-hit style, try her out with Rageblade, Nashor’s Tooth, Hurricane, and even Infinity Edge for items and Press the Attack or Fleet Footwork for runes.
2. “Hey Mobalytics. I’ve been wondering, how’s Pyke? He kinda vanished after the nerf to his magic resist. Did it hurt him that much?” – NLV
- Pyke is okay at the moment as a situational pick but the level of difficulty he requires in order to win is too high to recommend if you’re looking to climb consistently.
- As you mentioned, he’s taken a hit due to nerfs to his ratios and itemization. Even Pyke Mid isn’t doing as well as it used to.
- There are other high difficulty champions that are worth playing at the moment, such as Thresh or Bard, that will yield higher rewards for your efforts.
3. “Hey! What are your thoughts on Mid lane Brand? (Or just Brand in general)” – TomiMan
- Brand is a viable pick for Mid lane in low-ELO since he deals a ton of damage, has carry potential, and most players won’t be able to dodge your abilities properly (like staying grouped against your ultimate).
- At higher ELOs, he can be hard countered by really good assassin players that use champs like Zed, Talon, or LeBlanc. He’s more suited as a Support at these ranks.
4. “Where is Poppy? She isn’t even B-tier for Jungle or Top. I feel like she is good and consistent throughout the whole game (either as a tank or assassin depending on the game). Is it one of those champions that is better as a counter pick?” – Richard Valli
- She is indeed a situational pick that you can use to counter bruisers, specifically ones with jumps or dashes, like Jax, Renekton and Riven.
- We wouldn’t recommend her as a champion that you would one-trick to climb since she isn’t as good outside of these circumstances.
- If you do play her we recommend going full tank, if you want a bit more damage you can build a Trinity Force and perhaps some lethality, we wouldn’t recommend trying an assassin build.
- If you’re going Top, max Q with Grasp of the Undying or Aery. If you’re playing Jungle, try out Predator or Aftershock.
5. “Teemo A? What should I build on him? On-hit or classic? – Samuel Vignaduzzo
- With Teemo you have options, on-hit or full AP will both work. If you want to go on-hit, Nashor’s is always a good choice with Liandry’s, Deathcap, and Void Staff. With enough AP and attack speed, Teemo melts towers.
- If you’re looking to split push, take Grasp, Press the Attack, or Hail of Blades. If you want to be more of an AP assassin, go Aery or Dark Harvest with Void Staff, Liandry’s, Morellos, and Deathcap.
6. “Is Gnar that bad right now? I’m having decent results actually (low ELO)” – alexej.vogel
- There are some problems with Gnar in his current state, that’s why he’s receiving even more buffs after being buffed recently.
- One of his main issues is that he doesn’t have a great keystone – Fleet Footwork, Press the Attack, Lethal Tempo, are all decent but not good.
- Due to his Mega Gnar timer, he requires a great deal of coordination and it’s tough enough for teams to stay on the same page in solo queue.
- That being said, come back when he gets his next round of buffs and we’ll see how he’s doing.
7. “Why is Rengar never in the normal-ELO tier list but always in the high-ELO tier list?” – skrub.noob
- Rengar is one of those high difficulty champions that really isn’t played to his potential in lower-ELOs. Sure, you’ll see a Rengar pop off with high kills every now and then, but you’ll often see them have a hard time closing out games even with a big lead.
- That being said, he does have dedicated one-tricks that are successful with him at high-ELO so it seems that if you do invest a lot of time into mastering the nuances of his kit, he can be extremely powerful. We just can’t recommend him as a low-ELO choice for climbing.
Thanks for reading and watching! We’ll see you next time for Patch 9.6. As always, you can reach out to our team on Discord if you have any questions or feel free to leave a comment below.