Q&A: Patch 9.19’s Tier List
Every patch, our experts curate a predictive tier list for climbing solo queue. We created this Q&A series to address the most common questions for each individual tier list, this one is for Patch 9.18. If you’d like your question to be answered, leave a comment in our tier list article, in our Youtube video’s comments, or send us a message in our Discord.
We don’t answer every question but we do read all of them so you always have a chance! Note that some answers within this article may be slightly altered for readability.
If you want to know the best champs to climb with this patch, here’s our LoL tier list for Patch 9.19. If you want to know what our experts thought of the patch as a whole, check out our 9.19 Patch Breakdown.
1. Why did Bard’s difficulty change?
2. Does Nasus deserve S-tier in low ELO?
3. Why is Volibear S-tier?
4. Why is Leona only A-tier?
5. Why is Nocturne rated so highly?
Questions and Answers
1. “I noticed that you changed Bard’s skill floor from “Severe” to “Hard”. Just curious, what instigated this change? – HiltCoW (Youtube)”
- This is actually something we had been tracking for a while. The average champs in the severe category do pretty poorly on the normal list as they require a lot of mastery to even reach a 50 percent win rate like Akali or Irelia for example.
- Bard though has been performing well on the normal list for quite some time so it made us rethink how difficult he really was.
- We then discussed if he’s performing well at lowers levels because he was too strong or if he really was just easier to execute than we initially thought.
- We understand he can be pretty troll with portals missed stuns or ulting people at the wrong time but with just autos and Q landing, he provides quite a bit of pressure for his team.
- Especially since he’s tankier in the early game now compared to past versions so we decided to move him to Hard difficulty to better match his mastery to LP ratio.
2. “Isn’t the point of the S tier the fact champs you find in it are OP/godlike? Because I got serious doubts when I see more than 10 champs in S tier, Nasus S tier? Even in lower ELOs he doesn’t deserve an S.” – Solal Robinne (Youtube)
- This is actually something we’ve brought up during our tier list meeting recemtly as we have considered that we might have too many S tier champions and that we should potentially be a little more strict on who we let in.
- However, the core principle of this tier list is to help you climb and if a role has 10 S tier champs then all that really means is that role has a large difference in between its top end and lower end or that the role itself is just very strong currently in solo queue compared to the other roles.
- This kind of information I feel is more important to display to viewers rather than arbitrarily limiting S tier to a limited number like we did in the past as it feels like the integrity of list gets hurt if we do that.
- As for Nasus on our low ELO list, he does outperform the other A tier champions but he is for sure at the bottom of S tier and may fall out soon.
3. “Hi, please tell me why Volibear is in S tier? I have been seeing him there for a long time, but it’s not entirely clear why.” – Tsunami World (Discord)
- Currently, the jungle is in a very heavy skirmish meta which is something Volibear thrives in as he is both tanky (due to his passive in the early game) and provides a lot of damage while being very easy to execute.
- At lower levels of play, this kind of reliability is extremely valuable and his passive often catches people off guard allowing him to snowball even more consistently.
- Is Volibear some god tier champ though? No, otherwise he would be on the high ELO list as well.
- Think of him like the Garen of the jungle – a consistent champ that is good for climbing at lower levels of play in early game metas.
- If it’s a late game meta though. you better believe we are dropping him as jungler faster than TSM replaces their junglers.
4. “Why is Leona only A tier? She tanks pretty well, synergies early with a lot of ADC, and has a short CD on her ult.” – Julien Liou (Facebook)
- Leona has been rising in popularity for some time now and is a very solid A tier champ but what stops her from reaching S tier is something I mention a lot but it’s consistency.
- Leona as a champion is very linear since she can only really go in by design. This means if she falls behind or her team falls behind and she can no longer engage she runs out of options.
- Though this concept is true for many pick champs champions like Blitzcrank, Nautilus, they can at least look for picks from a safe distance, or in Naut’s case, he can use his Q for mobility to get out.
- Leona, on the hand, will engage looking for a pick, realize it won’t work, then waddle away and die as the rest of her team spams missing pings on her.
- She would need to be either too tanky or have very low CDs on her CC to overcome her current kit limitations to be consistent enough in solo queue to be S.
5. “Why is Nocturne so high, compared to others? Like Kha for example.” – davide.milan.27 (Instagram)
- Good question, this comes up quite frequently for our normal list. Nocturne currently has a very consistent and easy-to-execute kit, and thanks to the buffs he received a couple of patches ago, he has become quite a strong duelist even in the early game with a quick clear speed which is why we have his S.
- But why is Kha’Zix not also S tier on our normal list as he is considered by most to be OP and is S tier on our high ELO list?
- Well, that’s because if you scan the jungle list you’ll note how consistently tanks or bruiser champs have dominated the current jungle meta as they are either easy to snowball on, farm on, scale well, or are usful in some way from behind.
- Assassin junglers have almost none of those qualities, they aren’t consistent, require you to snowball, and require you to end games before they get outscaled in the teamfight phase which means the Kha player needs excellent knowledge on how to get picks.
- This means if you don’t have the skill level required to snowball games consistently and close them out quick that your win rate will be pretty bad on assassin junglers hence why they don’t do well on the normal list compared to the high ELO one.
Thanks for reading and watching! We’ll see you next time for Patch 9.19. As always, you can reach out to our team on Discord if you have any questions or feel free to leave a comment below.