Q&A: Patch 9.14’s Tier List
Every patch, our experts curate a predictive tier list for climbing solo queue. We created this Q&A series to address the most common questions for each individual tier list, this one is for Patch 9.14. If you’d like your question to be answered, leave a comment in our tier list article, in our Youtube video’s comments, or send us a message in our Discord.
We don’t answer every question but we do read all of them so you always have a chance! Note that some answers within this article may be slightly altered for readability.
If you want to know the best champs to climb with this patch, here’s our LoL tier list for Patch 9.14. If you want to know what our experts thought of the patch as a whole, check out our 9.14 Patch Breakdown.
1. Should Corki and Quinn be on the ADC list?
2. Can someone explain to me the “Nidalee Runic Echoes Triforce Hybrid” build?
3. Why is Xayah A in low elo but S in high elo?
4. Why is Singed suddenly in A-tier again?
5. Why is Swain not viable in mid?
Questions and Answers
1. “Corki and Quinn maybe deserve B tier in ADC at least if Yasuo is on your list lol.” – Ayy ayy (Youtube)
- Corki and Quinn don’t deserve it for two reasons:
- The first is that we limit the tier list to champions above 1 percent play rate with some exceptions of course like Zilean because everyone hates playing him but he’s damn good.
- This is done to make sure we suggest champions that have enough data and are popular enough to be worth investing into. Quinn and Corki combined don’t reach 1 percent playrate let alone Yasuo’s play rate in bot lane, which is around 1.5 percent (higher than Kog’Maw and tied with Kalista.
- The second reason is that they both have lower than 50 percent win rate as niche picks. Due to the lower sample set, you generally can’t trust the numbers.
- Established niche bot laners like Sona, Taliyah, Vel’Koz, Veigar, Swain, Ziggs have the same play rate as Quinn Corki but have 51 to 54 percent winrates on patch 9.14 and roughly the same on 9.13.
2. “Can someone explain to me the “Nidalee Runic Echoes Triforce Hybrid” build? I have never seen this sh%t and I want to know” – CAZADOR DE YORDLES (Youtube)
- Our team found out about this build when playing with Spica, one of the best solo queue junglers on NA who plays quite a bit of Nidalee.
- For runes, he mostly goes Conqueror with inspiration secondary for free boots. For items,
- He goes Chilling Smite, Runic Echoes, Triforce, tier two boots, and Zhonya’s as his core. He follows it up with Athene’s or Liandry’s normally but at that point, any AP item or tank item is usable.
- This build is meant to be more scrappy and early pressure oriented aiming to constantly force and outplay skirmishes with high tempo gameplay.
- This build is used in China but not as popular compared to the AP one and in recent games, Spica no longer uses this build.
- Personally, I would it is an option when versus heavy frontline heavy comps kind of like how Ashe has her Triforce build versus ranged comps and BORK vs melee comps.
3. “Why is Xayah A in low elo but S in high elo?” – Kyos (Discord)
- This happened because the high ELO meta suits Xayah extremely well. Not only is her favorite lane partner Rakan, a highly contested pick, but the high ELO meta at the moment is very dive heavy which is perfect for a champion like Xayah who is amazing at kiting back and self peeling.
- Note that these things are not valuable at a lower level of play hence her A tier placement. Due to her range issues and less mechanical proficiency at these ranks, she can run into positioning mistakes often during the teamfight phase at lower levels which is why she is not S tier.
- I’ve seen far too many Xayah players in my day die without hitting R then blame lag for me to believe that her skill ceiling would be low.
- To back up this trend, on Patch 9.13, Xayah’s win rate from all ranks Plat + to Diamond + see a steady increase only to her jump up in Masters +, showing how she does better the higher you go.
- This trend can also be seen on 9.14 but to a lesser extent and with less data.
4. “So why is Singed suddenly in A-tier again? Some explanation would be nice as I’m a Singed main. ” – Alexander Barth (Twitter)
- It mostly comes down to favorable matchups coming back to the meta and his new Conqueror build. Outside of Conqueror, you’re looking at Resolve for your secondary for Demolish and Boneplating.
- For item build, it’s full AP with Rylai’s, Liandry’s, and Protobelt. For boots, take Sorcs, Mercs, or Tabis. Situational items include Zhonyas or really any tank item including things like Locket or Knight’s Vow.
- This build was not invented by GRF Lehends, but he did popularize and condone it for 9.14.
- For matchups, Singed is favorable into Riven, Jax, Morde, Renekton, Aatrox, Yasuo, Irelia, Kledd, Malphite, Vlad, Camille, Akali, and Poppy.
- These champs are all be seeing a lot of play or increased play this patch.
- Though the sample size for data on 9.14 is small it’s enough when combined with the 9.13 data to notice a trend of winning popular matchups for Singed, hence the poison surfer’s rise to A tier.
5. “Why is Swain not viable in mid?” – slimaneehm (Instagram)
- We had originally thought that due to his decreased ranged and less mana sustain, Swain would not be suited as for mid lane compared to top lane.
- The reason for this is that in mid lane, many more long-range zone style champs like Anivia or Vel’Koz exist. We were wrong though as currently, he is performing better mid lane compared top lane.
- Doing some research into his matchup data, I found that he does in fact, lose to zone control mages. It’s just that they are far less popular compared to mid range matchups like Twisted Fate or assassins like LeBlanc and Diana.
- He is a great counter pick to assassins who are popular at the moment such as Akali or Diana. Just don’t go against Katarina with that increased healing on her ult because she destroys him now.
Thanks for reading and watching! We’ll see you next time for Patch 9.14. As always, you can reach out to our team on Discord if you have any questions or feel free to leave a comment below.