5 Champions Who Counter Tahm Kench
Tahm Kench is getting a slight rework on Patch 11.13. The “improved” Tahm Kench is similar to the previous Tahm Kench, apart from his W and R changes. He is most likely going to become a Top laner. With this in mind, this guide will be directed towards the Top lane.
Sign up to Mobalytics for more tips and tricks to help improve your climb!
If you want to find more tips and tricks to play Tahm Kench in the Top lane, check out Tahm Kench’s champion page, which has his new runes, builds, tips and tricks and much more. Have you tried the new Tahm Kench yet? Check out our how to play reworked Tahm Kench guide!
What champions counter Tahm Kench?
The best champions that counter Tahm Kench are Vayne, Kled, Gnar, Cho’Gath annd Gwen. You can find all the matchup tips we use in this guide on the Mobalytics App. For plus members, you can get specific matchup tips for the champion you’re playing versus the enemy laner at your fingertips while you load into the game. We have tens of thousands of different, highly specific matchups curated by our challenger level players to help you lane against the enemy champion.
1. Tahm Kench vs Vayne
Vayne has the range advantage and can bully Tahm Kench down whenever he walks up to farm. She is also great into tanks, and as Tahm Kench will be building tanky items- she is a direct counter to him.
4 tips to counter Tahm Kench as Vayne
- Your Q will be significant in this lane. This is because it provides you protection from both his Q and W. No matter what happens, dodge his Q.
- You have an innate advantage over him as you can completely destroy his health bar if he misses his Q. Use the lane brushes to drop vision on him when possible.
- Once you get your Ultimate, you should have an effortless time in this lane. Remember to dodge sideways and bamboozle Tahm Kench so that you don’t get hit by his Q.
- Keep the wave on your side of the lane to ensure your safety. It will also expose Tahm Kench to ganks but will let him roam quicker than you. Warn your teammates if he leaves the lane.
2. Tahm Kench vs Kled
Kled is a strong all-in champion who will win skirmishes with the Tahm Kench. If you keep thew ave closer to your side of the map, you can force him to overextend and kill him over and over again.
4 tips to counter Tahm Kench as Kled
- Your E will be convenient when it comes to dealing with Tahm Kench’s Q in the lane. If he misses that ability, try to all-in him.
- Try to Q him through the allied minion wave. This will save you from taking unnecessary damage due to his Q or W.
- Going for regular short burst trades against him when possible. This will help you negate his E in the lane. Using the lane brushes for surprise all-ins is always viable.
- Keep the wave in the middle of the lane and ensure that you don’t let Tahm Kench roam freely. His W will be a force to reckon with otherwise.
3. Tahm Kench vs Gnar
In his ranged form, Gnar can bully the Tahm Kench down freely whenever he walks up to the farm. His level 6 is also a lot stronger than Tahm Kench’s Ultimate. As long as you play around his Q, you should easily beat him in the laning phase.
4 tips to counter Tahm Kench as Gnar
- You should focus on poking Tahm Kench with your Q in this lane. This will help you stay safe and will prevent Tahm Kench from blatantly all-in’ing you.
- Your W and E will come in very handy for you. Just make sure that you don’t use your jump carelessly, or you will pay for it with your life.
- During team fights, you will have to keep an eye on Tahm Kench’s position. At no point should he be allowed to get too close to your backline. Use your Ultimate to ensure the same.
- Keep the wave in the middle of the lane, ward around the lane properly, and use the lane brushes to ensure that you can keep poking Tahm Kench incessantly.
4. Tahm Kench vs Cho’Gath
Cho’Gath is one of the safest picks on our list. Cho’Gath can focus on farming and out scale the Tahm Kench. Cho’Gath does have extra kill pressure on the Tahm thanks to his Ultimate and gank setup with his Q and W.
4 tips to counter Tahm Kench as Cho’Gath
- Save your Q for moments where Tahm Kench is trying to all-in you, and you need to escape. Remember that you should dodge sideways or Flash only after you have managed to knock him up.
- Your Ultimate procurement will help you a lot as the game progresses. Just make sure that you stack it up properly before the mid-game, else you will have a lot of issues finishing Tahm Kench off.
- Tahm Kench will look to roam around once he has managed to shove the wave in. Let your teammates know if he has left the lane, and always follow up on his roams.
- Keep the wave in the middle of your lane and stick around in the lane brushes. It will allow you to use your abilities on Tahm Kench with ease, especially when landing your Q.
5. Tahm Kench vs Gwen
Gwen is one of the strongest Top laners around right now thanks to her Q and R. Because of her overall strength in the current meta; she is a great pick into the newly formed frog.
4 tips to counter Tahm Kench as Gwen
- Always try to bait his Q out before going for a trade on him. Utilize the time between all-ins to stack up your Q. This will ensure that your trades go well.
- Your W and E are huge counters to Tahm Kench’s Q and W in the lane. Just make sure that you don’t use them carelessly, or at the wrong time, else Tahm Kench can quickly turn on you.
- Regular short burst trades should help you a lot when dealing with Tahm Kench’s E in the lane. The best time to go for such trades is when his Q is down.
- Keep the wave on your side of the river and scale up. Once you get your Ultimate, this lane should become relatively easy for you.
That about sums up this Tahm Kench guide. If you want to learn how to play Tahm Kench, you should check out our how to play reworked Tahm Kench guide.
For more tips and tricks, head to Mobalytics!
If you have any questions or want to learn more, check out PicklePants’s stream.