5 Champions Who Counter Sona
Sona is one of the safest Supports in the game. She can turn any lane into a scaling one, and as long as she doesn’t get caught out, die or fall behind- she will be great in the mid and late game. Because of her playstyle and overall squishiness, she is easily abusable by picking a champion that counters her.
In this Mobalytics guide, we will talk about 5 champions that counter Sona in the Support role. We will break down some Supports and ADCs to increase your chances of counter picking and winning the early game against a Sona.
If you are into utility Supports such as Sona, make sure you check out Sona’s champion page. It has a range of tips and tricks to help you play Sona, including Sona’s best builds, Sona Runes and Sona combos.
What champions counter Sona?
The best champions that counter Sona are Nautilus, Pyke, Blitzcrank, Caitlyn and Ashe. You can find all the matchup tips we use in this guide on the Mobalytics App. For plus members, you can get specific matchup tips for the champion you’re playing versus the enemy laner at your fingertips while you load into the game. We have tens of thousands of different, highly specific matchups curated by our challenger level players to help you lane against the enemy champion.
1. Sona vs Nautilus
Nautilus is a strong all-in champion whose Q hitbox is questionable. As Sona is a squishy champion, looking for an aggressive play whenever she walks outside of the minion wave could provide you with the perfect opportunity to play aggressive and kill her. Post 6, you can also use your Ultimate to catch her or her ADC out of position.
4 tips to counter Sona as Nautilus
- Even though Sona is weak early, she can poke well with Q and sustain some damage with her W. Be careful of taking too much damage from her as you won’t be able to punish if she overextends.
- Sona Ult can hit multiple people, Stay near your ally but do not stand next to them as you can stop her team from engaging with your Ult and peel allies with your Q
- Use your W whenever Sona walks up to poke with her Q as the shield will negate the damage you take.
- Try to punish Sona whenever she is overextended or alone. Hooking her basically confirms a kill since she has no escape.
2. Sona vs Pyke
Pyke is a catch champion similar to Nautilus. The gameplay is very similar, for every Hook or catch champion, but Pyke has the added benefit that he can roam very quickly and safely. Sona doesn’t have much roam pressure and her pre-6 kill pressure (and when her Ultimate is down) is practically non-existent which can allow you to roam for free.
4 tips to counter Sona as Pyke
- Try to punish Sona whenever she is over extended or alone. Hooking her basically confirms a kill since she has no escape.
- Sona is a high poke champion but don’t be afraid to playing aggressive since your Passive lets you regenerate most of the health back.
- Sona is very squishy and is prone to all ins. If you can force her near the wall, look to hook her with Q and then follow it up with E.
- The enemy is incredibly immobile early on. So if you let them push towards your side of the map, you can look for an all in. Just make sure you don’t let them push you under tower and take turret plating.
3. Sona vs Blitzcrank
Blitzcrank is another Hook champion (can you see a pattern?) that is very good into Sona. Getting any Hook on her should result in you killing her as she is squishy and immobile in the laning phase. Look for early Hooks to get a lead. A good time to look for a Q is when she walks forward for stacks on her warding quest.
4 tips to counter Sona as Blitzcrank
- Sona will try to Q you and poke you down. All you need to do is avoid this and once this is done, you are free to literally W up to her and Q her if she is far away from her tower.
- If she uses her E to trade with you, wait for the movement speed to expire. After it expires, you are free to all-in her by W>E’ing her.
- Her W costs a lot of mana and provides a very meagre heal. Force her to use it by constantly all-in’ing her ADC whenever you can and make her run out of mana.
- Push the wave in and make sure that Sona and her ADC get no room to breathe in this lane. Once the wave crashes, roam around and get advantages elsewhere. You may also hide in the brushes to zone them out or get free picks on Sona.
4. Sona vs Caitlyn
Caitlyn is a good pick into Sona because Caitlyn’s will generally push the minion wave under the enemies tower in order to get early tower plates. While you’re under the enemy’s tower, you can poke and harass her for free. Furthermore, if Sona ever walks on one of your Traps, you can easily take her down or at the very least deal a ton of damage to her.
4 tips to counter Sona as Caitlyn
- Your main goal is to force Sona to back so that she loses on lane experience and can’t scale as quickly as she should. Her W costs a lot of mana early on with meager healing so look to harass or all-in her with your W whenever you can.
- Don’t try to harass Sona unless her Q is on CD. Always stay away from her Q range and kill minions from there by abusing your range advantage in the lane.
- After level six always watch out for Sona’s Flash>R combo, especially when you’re getting ganked. If you have Flash, you can dodge it and chase her down in lane with your E or W to punish her for blowing her Flash or just back off if you’re low on HP.
- If you see the enemy Jungler on the other side of the map, you are free to push the lane. Otherwise, keep the minions in the middle of the lane and harass her every chance you get. Since Sona is too squishy you can kill her easily if she gets CC’d.
5. Sona vs Ashe
Ashe’s Ultimate is a picking tool and as Sona is squishy and generally immobile during the laning phase, you can easily kill her over and over again with your Ultimate. Pre-6, you can also bully her down frequently with your Volley whenever she walks outside of the minion wave or when
4 tips to counter Sona as Ashe
- Sona’s E is the only mobility ability she has, which allows her to roam. Track her down by keeping your vision in the nearby bushes and by utilizing your E to spot her when she tries to.
- When Sona reaches level 6, her Ultimate is very good at bursting. In order to prevent that, set up a freeze near your Tower to expose her to ganks. You can set up your Jungler with your Ultimate.
- In the early game, Sona’s main damage ability is her Q. Remain and safely farm at your maximum auto attack range to not get freely poked by it. Do not let Sona or her ADC auto attack you during this time, because they will deal bonus damage to you.
- Sona is a very squishy champion. Harass her with your long range auto attacks and with your W to prevent her from approaching you and to easily gain lane dominance.
Sona scales incredibly well. Picking one of these champions will make it incredibly hard for her to lane and will set her behind early. We hope this guide will make dealing with Sona a little bit easier.
For more tips and tricks, check out Mobalytics!
If you have any questions or want to learn more, check out PicklePants’s stream.