5 Champions Who Counter Darius
Darius is one of the hardest Top laners to deal with thanks to his Passive and bleed. With him being so difficult for some players to play against, we must provide you with some tips and tricks to make dealing with him a little bit easier.
In this Mobalytics guide, we will talk about 5 champions that are considered good picks into a Darius. They range from lane bullies to safe picks and champions with the range advantage.
How does the saying go? “If you can’t beat them- join them?!” Why not join the Dunkmasters club and learn how to play Darius by checking out Darius’ champion page where we break down various tips and tricks to play as him and show you what Runes and items to build on Darius.
What champions counter Darius?
You can find all the matchup tips we use in this guide on the Mobalytics App. For plus members, you can get specific matchup tips for the champion you’re playing versus the enemy laner at your fingertips while you load into the game. We have tens of thousands of different, highly specific matchups curated by our challenger level players to help you lane against the enemy champion.
1. Darius vs Quinn
Quinn is a great Top laner and early lane bully. She can consistently abuse Darius whenever he walks up to farm as he is short-ranged. While her level 6 isn’t as potent as Darius, as long as she can keep her distance and abuse her range advantage- she should have an easy time playing against Darius.
“Demacia needs heroes.” Will you be the hero that your team needs? Learn how to play Quinn by checking out Quinn’s champion page and become the carry your team needs.
4 tips to counter Darius as Quinn
- Try to freeze the waves in front of your tower and last hit minions, to be ready to harass Darius if he overextends for farm.
- Darius is a really strong champion during the early game, but he can be kited easily with your range. Do not stay in range for his E in any circumstance and only use your Q and AAs to deal damage.
- After level 6, you should be more careful about how you position against Darius. Try to poke as many times as you can, without putting yourself in danger, and when Darius decides to all-in, you will have a health advantage.
- If Darius somehow catches you, use your E to back off then AA him to get some bonus movement speed to run away.
2. Darius vs Wukong
Wukong is a good pick into Darius for several reasons. Wukong’s early game is stronger than Darius’, and he can even dodge his Ultimate with his clone. Wukong also has good gank setup because of his Ultimate, and as Darius is quite immobile without his Summoner Spells, he should be a good target for allied ganks.
Wukong, Bluekong or Donkeykong? Check out Wukong’s champion page for the best builds and Runes for Wukong.
4 tips to counter Darius as Wukong
- Keep the minion wave close to your side of the lane. This reduces his ability to run you down in lane and prevents him from zoning you away from farm.
- Be prepared to sacrifice CS for XP and health against Darius. Only last hit minions what you can withut losing health. It’s not worth overextending, over greeding for a couple of minions when he can just pull you in with E and start a fight.
- Do not go for extended trades with Darius period. He is incredibly strong thanks to his Passive which makes 1v1 duels extremely difficult for you. Keep trades short and sweet when necessary.
- Hit level 2 and 3 at the same time as Darius. He has a very strong all in at these levels and if you’re under levelled compared to him- he might look for the fight. Hit level 2 (the first 7 minions) at the same time as him to reduce his chances of trading.
3. Darius vs Gwen
Gwen is one of the latest champions to hit Summoners Rift, and she is a great pick into Darius. Extended trades are usually Darius’ forte, but Gwen excels at them more. Thanks to her Passive and her Q, Gwen should win any 1v1 against Darius. Gwen also out scales Darius, so she will be better as the game goes along.
Gwen is one of the latest champions to hit Summoners Rift. If you haven’t tried her yet, get the low down on Gwen’s Runes, builds and much, much more by checking out Gwen’s champion page.
4 tips to counter Darius as Gwen
- Be very careful about the Darius cheese strategy during the early game. If he is not in the lane, don’t push recklessly during level one, else you may just end up dying.
- If Darius manages to E you, use your E after a moment to dodge his follow up Q. This will save you from a lot of damage.
- Getting some Grievous Wounds should help you deal with Darius’ healing during the early game. Just make sure that you avoid his E outer end like the plague.
- Keep the wave on your side of the tower and ask your Jungler to gank you a lot during the early game. Once you get a lead on him, you should be able to 1 v 1 with ease.
4. Darius vs Yorick
Yorick out scales a Darius and as long as the Yorick doesn’t fall behind early, he should be better in the long run. Yorick is generally considered a safe champion, so as long as you keep your distance and don’t let the Darius do Darius things- you’ll come ahead of this matchup.
Yorick is not played much, but don’t let the stats fool you! Find out how to play this underrated grave digger by checking out Yorick’s champion page.
4 tips to counter Darius as Yorick
- Try to poke Darius in lane before you engage on him as he has the advantage in long trades but struggles in short engagements.
- Avoid taking long trades with Darius during the early game as once his Passive hits 5 stacks he will gain a large amount of attack damage and will be able to easily kill you.
- Avoid standing on the outer edge of Darius when he uses his W as it will deal damage, apply 1 stack of his Passive and also heal him for a percentage of his missing health.
- If Darius misses his E in lane you will have a large window of time while it is on cooldown to trade with Darius as he will have no way to close the distance between the two of you.
5. Darius vs Vayne
Vayne is a ranged champion and generally does well into immobile melee champions. As long as you can keep your distance from Darius and use your range advantage to bully and harass him down, you will win this matchup. Even if Darius is playing safe, or if you’re not able to kill him- you will always out scale him.
Vayne is one of the hardest marksmen in the game. She is tough to play, but by checking out Vayne’s champion page, you will have an easier time learning her.
4 tips to counter Darius as Vayne
- Use your range advantage to poke the enemy out of lane. Constant harass through basic attacks will make it much harder for them to survive the laning phase and scale. But as the enemy has a lot of all in/ burst, do not over commit to poking them.
- The enemies level 6 all in is quite strong. Be careful when they hit the level up as they might look for the all in. Play cautiously and keep your distance. Try to poke from afar and always keep your spacing so they cannot get on to you.
- The best time to trade with the enemy is once they waste one of their abilities. This reduces their damage output in the trade, which should give you the upper hand and the health advantage afterwards.
- Keep the minion wave closer to your side of the map. Not only this will allow you to freely poke the enemy with basic attacks, but it will also prevent the enemy from being able to extend the trade/ all in you as the wave will be close to your tower.
Darius is one of the hardest Top laners to play against. In this guide, we broke down 5 champions that are good against him. Try and pick one of these champions into him if you see that he has been picked up by the enemy laner.
For more tips and tricks, check out Mobalytics!
If you have any questions or want to learn more, check out PicklePants’s stream.