Day 2 of Shurima Reveals with RattlingBones
It’s the 2nd day of card reveals for the Shurima set and we’ve officially gotten our first champion, Renekton!
Renekton unveils a brand new champion mechanic, being the first one that has three levels instead of the previous max of two.
The new Empires of the Ascended cards will be revealed every morning at Mobalytics so be sure to keep up with the latest cards.
Here are the new Shurima Cards revealed today in Empires of the Ascended:
- Renekton (champion)
- Renekton’s Ruthless Predator (spell)
- Bloodthirsty Marauder (follower)
- Baccai Sandspinner (follower)
- Raz Bloodmane (follower)
- Exhaust (spell)
- Quicksand (spell)
- Rite of Dominance (spell)
- Unworthy (spell)
- Dominus Destruction (skill)
Just like our past reveals, you can also find more analysis from Swim’s video below!
Renekton (Level 1-3)
- 4 mana 4|4 level 1 champion, Overwhelm
- Text: When I Challenge an enemy, give me +2|+1 this round. Level Up: I’ve dealt 12+ damage
- Renekton (Level 2)
- 4 mana 5|5 level 2 champion, Overwhelm
- Text: Give me +3|+3 this round. Level Up: You’ve restored the Sun Disc.
- Renekton (Level 3)
- 4 mana 10|10 level 3 champion, Overwhelm
- Text: When I block or Attack: Deal 2 to enemies and enemy Nexus.
We really need to keep an eye on what else gets released for Shurima.
This champion is interesting because I can see it being crazy good or just subpar.
Renekton with Exhaust for example is just insane. You can easily remove any threat from the board.
We’ll also have to see how good he is upon Leveling Up. 4 Mana 8|8 Overwhelm champion is definitely well above average. 🙂
I can’t see the final form of Renekton seeing play very much with the cards that have been released thus far.
That being said, Renekton would be kind of crazy if we can reliably get him to his level 3 form. He can hyper-carry games when he’s Leveled Up to his final form.
- Renekton’s Ruthless Predator
- 2 mana Burst spell
- Text: Give an ally +2|+0 and an enemy Vulnerable this round. Create a Renekton in your deck.
- Ruthless Predator
- 2 mana Burst spell
- Text: Give an ally +2|+0 and an enemy Vulnerable this round.
Ruthless Predator is a standalone spell that is also Renekton’s champion spell.
Generally, cards like this that don’t provide additional stats for health don’t see a lot of competitive play. I could see some niche decks playing it.
- Bloodthirsty Marauder
- 1 mana 3|1 follower
This is above average for its 1 mana cost but all in all, there won’t be too many viable decks.
- Baccai Sandspinner
- 4 mana 5|3 follower
- Text: Play: Grant an enemy -1|-0 and Vulnerable.
While the effects and attack statline are up to part with its cost, I feel the health stat line is just far too low to make this viable in most decks.
- Raz Bloodmane
- 7 mana 6|6 follower, Fearsome
- Text: Attack: Give enemies -2|-0 this round.
Somewhat underwhelming card – we would need to see how this card plays within an SI fearsome deck. So far though, it likely will not going to see much play.
- 1 mana Focus spell
- Text: Give an enemy -2|-0 and Vulnerable this round.
One of the best cards released today!
You may notice the new spell type, Focus.
This is a new term, but not a new mechanic. It refers to the gem speed (Burst that cannot be cast during combat), that was introduced in Call of the Mountain.
Super viable at the competitive level and I can see it being played in all sorts of decks.
- 3 mana Burst spell
- Text: Give an enemy -4|-0 and disable its keywords (excluding any negative keywords) this round.
Not as good as Hush but all in all, this should also be a competitive card.
I can see this being played in competitive level play just like Exhaust. Albeit, not as a 3 of.
Rite of Dominance
- Rite of Dominance
- 4 mana Fast spell
- Text: Kill an ally or destroy one of your mana gems to give all enemies -2|-0 this round.
Another underwhelming card. There are some cool interactions but it seems to be too expensive to see competitive play.
- 2 mana Slow spell
- Text: Give an enemy follower -4|-0 this round. If you have fewer mana gems than your opponent, kill it instead.
Depends on other interactions with destroying/regaining mana gems.
That being said, this is likely going to see very little play due to its Slow spell speed.
Thanks for reading! If you have any questions, feel free to ask Rattlingbones during his streams (every weeknight @9PM EST).