Day 3 of Empires of the Ascended (Jarvan IV’s Reveal)
Hey guys NicMakesPlays here, today I am going over the new Demacia reveals for the Shurima expansion.
The third day of card reveals features, Jarvan IV, the newest LoR champion from Demacia.
Jarvan IV brings a brand new angle for taking the offensive initiative by allowing you to pay cost to immediately summon.
In this article, we’ll cover what each card does and analyze their viability based on the known cards at the time of publishing.
Demacia’s new cards for Empires of the Ascended:
- Jarvan IV (Champion)
- Cataclysm (Jarvan IV’s champion spell and standalone spell)
- King Jarvan III (Follower)
- Gallant Rider (Follower)
- Golden Aegis (Spell)
- Honored Lord (Follower)
- Battlefield Prowess (Spell)
- Penitent Squire (Follower)
- Tattered Banner (Spell)
If you missed out on previous ones, check out the rest of the card reveals.
For even more impressions, tune into Swim’s video breakdown below.
Jarvan IV (Level 1-2)
- Jarvan IV (Level 1)
- 6 mana 5|3, Barrier
- Text: When you attack, pay my cost to summon me Challenging the Strongest enemy.
- Level Up: Allies have survived 4+ strikes from enemy blockers.
- Jarvan IV (Level 2)
- 6 mana 6|4, Barrier
- Text: When you attack pay my cost to summon me Challenging the Strongest enemy. Round Start: Create a Fleeting Cataclysm in hand. When I Challenge an enemy, give me Barrier this round.
Jarvan IV looks amazing since his ability allows you to open attack with him without your opponent being able to summon a blocker in response.
Jarvan adds a lot of depth to Elites by putting more emphasis on Challengers and making your opponent have more cards to play around.
He also is buffed by Battlesmith, discounts For the Fallen and also has synergy outside of mono Demacia elites by pairing him with Renekton.
Additionally, Jarvan has Barrier so he becomes removal on the turn he’s summoned.
He can be reliably leveled up since he levels up in your deck and has a strong level up form.
There is a lot going for Jarvan IV and he will definitely make a strong impression on the game.
Cataclysm/Jarvan IV’s Cataclysm
- 3 mana Slow spell
- Text: An ally starts a free attack Challenging an enemy.
- Jarvan IV’s Catacylsm creates a Jarvan IV in your deck.
This card can be used to trigger effects that activate “when Challenging” with the new Demacia followers. This card is similar to Single Combat and can be used as removal.
Cataclysm triggers Jarvan IV leveled up form, Gallant Rider, Honored Lord, and Renekton .
You can main deck this if your deck is built around it, but it is at least decent as Jarvan IV’s champ spell.
King Jarvan III
- King Jarvan III
- 7 mana Follower, Tough
- Text : When I’m summoned, draw Jarvan IV. If he’s already in play, instead give allies Challenger and Scout this round.
King Jarvan III could be considered if you run an all-out Challenger synergy Elite deck.
This can card search Jarvan IV which is strong but if Jarvan is on the field then you can trigger Honored Lord, Gallant Rider and Renekton.
I think there are more powerful cards to play since this is expensive, but it could be good in a dedicated build.
- Gallant Rider
- 4 mana 4|4 Follower
- Text: The first time I Challenge an enemy, transform me into Vanguard Cavalry.
This card is a 4/4 elite that transforms to a 5/5 with Tough when it challenges something.
This is another card that can utilize Tattered Banner, be buffed with Battlesmith, and discount For the Fallen.
- Golden Aegis
- 4 mana Slow spell
- Text: Give an ally Barrier this round. Rally.
Golden Aegis has some insane combos. This card can be a better Rally in Fiora Shen since it can give Barrier to your Challenger units.
A particularly amazing combo is this card with Taric since you get to Rally twice and give two units Barrier on each attack.
- Honored Lord
- 2 mana 3|2 Follower
- Text: The first time I Challenge an enemy, give me Barrier this round.
Honored Lord is a good 2 drop for the Elite deck. It can utilize Cataclysm as well as all the cards that grant Challenger and become removal.
A 3/2 is decent stats and can be buffed off Battlesmith into a 4/3.
This card can also be used in the Renekton Demacia deck with Exhaust to trigger Honored Lord’s ability and then Challenger a unit with Barrier.
- Battle Prowess
- 1 mana Slow spell
- Text: Grant an ally +1|+1
This card shouldn’t see much play except for in a Fiora or Taric deck. There are better alternatives but at least the grant can make Fiora harder to deal with.
- Penitent Squire
- 2 mana 2|2 Follower
- Text: When I’m summoned, if you Behold an Elite, create a Tattered Banner in hand.
- Tattered Banner
- 1 mana Burst spell
- Text: The next time you summon an ally this round, grant it Challenger.
This card is absolutely amazing and enables a lot of combos in your deck. As a one drop, it’s good since it’s a 2/2 that gives you a card.
You can use Tattered Banner on Garen, Gallant Rider, Honored Lord, and Renekton. Tattered Banner is Grant so you give something permanent Challenger which can trigger the new Followers’ effects, make Garen utilize his regenerate and achieve his level up, Renekton can level up easier as well as push huge damage in his level up form.
Overall, this will be one of the main cards that can give consistency to the new archetypes coming out with Shurima and Renekton.
Thanks for reading! If you have any questions, feel free to ask NicMakesPlays during his streams (usually 6PM-1230AM EST).