Q&A: Patch 9.8’s Tier List
Every patch, our experts curate a predictive tier list for climbing solo queue. We created this Q&A series to address the most common questions for each individual tier list, this one is for Patch 9.8. If you’d like your question to be answered, leave a comment in our tier list article, in our Youtube video’s comments, or send us a message in our Discord.
We don’t answer every question but we do read all of them so you always have a chance! Note that some answers within this article may be slightly altered for readability.
1. Why is Amumu S-tier for you but B-tier for ProGuides?
2. Why are Rek’Sai, Ivern, and Nunu severe difficulty?
3. Why isn’t Irelia on the low-ELO list while Fiora and Yasuo are?
4. Why is Jax always S-tier low-ELO?
5. Why isn’t Tahm Kench on the Support list when he’s often picked or banned in pro-play?
Questions and Answers
1. “Can you explain why ProGuides put Amumu in the B-tier while you put him in S-tier?” – Tom Newman (Youtube)
- One big potential reason for this is that ProGuides only has one list for all ranks while we separate ours into low-ELO and high-ELO.
- Due to having two lists, we can properly evaluate Amumu’s power without having bias towards him not performing well at higher ranks.
- With his Amumu’s recent direct buffs and due to itemization changes like Cinderhulk’s buff, he’s currently a force to be reckoned with (just take a look at his win rates).
- These reasons on top of the fact that he’s easy to execute solidify him as an S-tier choice for us.
2. “Rek’Sai/Ivern/Nunu severe skill floor :)” – veng and “really hard for Rek’Sai and Nunu to repeat press W at bot lane” – im baby (Twitter)
- Difficulty is always relative to the video game itself – if you compare League to something like Starcraft, everything in LoL would be considered “easy”.
- Any champion can be made to sound simple and brain dead, “TF just needs to his W and stun”, “Azir just uses W and moves soldiers around”, Ryze just hit W>E>Q>E>Q>W>R>Q…”
- When thinking about skill floor, ask yourself, if you want someone first-timing that champion without prior research on the kit. Do you really want someone on Rek’Sai who hasn’t ever dealt with her reduced vision or tremor sense? Do you really want an Ivern who doesn’t know how to properly clear their own jungle?
- These champs may not be super hard mechanically but they have unique abilities that take played games to get used to, that’s why they have a higher skill floor for us within League of Legends.
3. “Why isn’t Irelia on the low-ELO list while Fiora and Yasuo are?” – Jase135 (Discord)
- This one is simple, both Fiora and Yasuo can still kill even if they don’t use their kits properly.
- For example, if Yasuo misses a Tornado or if Fiora misses a Riposte, they’re still a threat and in decent shape. With Irelia’s recent nerfs, she can still be strong but isn’t as forgiving as missing her skillshots or missing a crucial can be fatal.
4. “Why is Jax S-tier on the low-ELO list every time? Can’t understand why, even tried to play it?” – Reamzy (Discord)
- Jax is a jungler that has a lot of strengths and multiple win conditions that lend themselves well to lower levels of play.
- The first being that he scales very well with gold which is great when game times are longer at low-ELOs and he can self-funnel by picking up minions crashing into tower after his teammates die because no one else will, the second is that he can reliably solo objectives and the third is that he has an easy to land CC for ganks.
- He has the ability to fit into almost any comp as he can split push, teamfight, or skirmish effectively.
5. “Why isn’t Tahm Kench on the Support tier list but I see him being banned or picked at pro-play?” – Itay27m (Instagram)
- Great question. In pro-play, TK is used to enable immobile carries and allow them to play more forward without having as high a risk of dying.
- You would think this would be true in solo queue but this requires your teammates to be in sync with you and solo queue will never be as coordinated in a team environment so Tahm’s kit will be less consistent than others.
- His ultimate summarizes everything as it’s a great tool but needs your teammates to have the macro knowledge and understanding of when you’d be using it and why. Compare that to a simpler Support ultimate such as Sona or Zyra who can make a big impact without needing their teammates to be 100% on the same page.
Thanks for reading and watching! We’ll see you next time for Patch 9.8. As always, you can reach out to our team on Discord if you have any questions or feel free to leave a comment below.