Q&A: Patch 9.18’s Tier List
Every patch, our experts curate a predictive tier list for climbing solo queue. We created this Q&A series to address the most common questions for each individual tier list, this one is for Patch 9.18. If you’d like your question to be answered, leave a comment in our tier list article, in our Youtube video’s comments, or send us a message in our Discord.
We don’t answer every question but we do read all of them so you always have a chance! Note that some answers within this article may be slightly altered for readability.
If you want to know the best champs to climb with this patch, here’s our LoL tier list for Patch 9.18. If you want to know what our experts thought of the patch as a whole, check out our 9.18 Patch Breakdown.
1. Why is Teemo S-tier?
2. How is Jax “Average”?
3. Where is Ryze?
4. Why is Zyra “Easy”?
5. Why isn’t Renekton mid?
Questions and Answers
1. “Teemo S tier ? Good joke.” and “Teemo S tier. Now all the Bronzies will think that Teemo is OP and will play him. Why Mobalytics, why?” – 123123123123 and Johnny.50 (Youtube)
- We’re normally pretty happy when people say our jokes our good but this time, we’re being 100% serious about Teemo’s S-tier ranking.
- After his recent buffs, such as the increase to his R shroom charges, Teemo’s win rate increased from 51.61% to 53.12%.
- Combine that with his 9.2% pick rate and you have the highest win rate ratio out of any top laner in patch 9.18.
- He also happens to counter some of the most popular top laners in the current meta such as Garen, Darius, Pantheon, and Illaoi.
- His only noteworthy losing matchups are Yorick, Dr. Mundo, and AP Malphite.
- So yes, it’s a good thing we are letting Gold and below players know how strong Teemo currently is because he’s pretty easy to climb with right now.
2. “Jax average? Are you kidding me? Do you have any idea how hard it is to survive the early game as Jax?” – Unseen Spy(Youtube)
- Similar to champs like Kassadin, Jax scales very well with items, but unlike Kassadin though, he comes online after just 1 item and becomes insane with his 2nd item.
- As far as champ difficulty goes, a weak laning phase doesn’t really apply to learning a champion’s kit.
- For example, imagine that Nasus (who already has a bad early game), was hypothetically nerfed to 0 armor. His laning phase would be so bad, he’d be unplayable.
- Does this make Nasus’s kit harder to play? Should we mark him as Severe? No, because he’s very mechanically easy to execute and you could probably grasp his kit without reading his abilities and figure them out by the end of a single game.
- Bringing it back to Jax, although his laning phase is somewhat weak, by no means does it make him a hard champion because his kit is so easy and straightforward to use.
- Learning curve is how easy the kit is to pick up, tier list ranking is how easy they are to win and climb with.
3. “Hey, I’m obviously a Ryze main. Where do you guys put my boi on the tier list and why? What are his weaknesses and strengths?” – Ryze (Discord)
- As you know, you may have seen how Adam feels about Ryze from our streams.
- He’s been an advocate for Ryze being vastly overrated as a pro pick since he’s held negative win rates over the past couple years unlike actual OP champs like Qiyana, Sylas, or Akali.
- As for his actual strength, he is performing extremely poorly in solo queue because the current iteration of his kit performs worse than the last one which wasn’t doing well in solo queue either.
- He has seen some play in LCK playoffs as a flex pick with some decent success so bias aside, he seems to at least be playable due to his amazing waveclear, DPS, and scaling, but we recommend that you stay away from him in solo queue since he can be set behind easily and dies too often.
- He’s not Kalista tier but still bad.
4. “Why do you class Zyra as “easy”? She has no mobility or escape and is quite squishy, positioning is far more important than most other champs due to seeds, all of her abilities are skill-shots which have a delayed cast time so harder to land.
League itself lists her as medium difficulty, while they list Morgana (who you have as Average) as easy… 🧐” – @thepigletsquid (Twitter)
- To start off, we are finally almost finished with our difficulty rework and have moved her to easy in the revamped version.
- As for Zyra, to make a comparison, we have other squishy champions with no mobility that are skillshot reliant and easy like Lux.
- Zyra specifically is marked as easy because she is easy to pick up even without fully understanding the seed mechanic.
- A lot of times, Zyra doesn’t need to hit all of her skillshots without still contributing because her Q can miss but if it hits a seed, the plant will still deal a decent amount of damage.
- She’s forgiving enough that a new player can pick her up and still be effective in a short time without needing to play her optimally.
- The next thing you mentioned how hard it is to position with her in teamfights. This is true, she does die a lot more than more champs in fights.
- However, the initial burst and then the damage from the seeds afterwards can often still deal more damage than her ADC even when she dies. So again, even if she isn’t being played optimally, she still sort of does her job.
5. “Why isn’t Renekton a mid pick?” – Yungdietwater (Instagram)
- This is a pretty good question because he’s been seen a lot as a mid laner recently in competitive play.
- One thing to pay attention to is why he’s picked as a mid laner.
- Currently, he’s used to counter melee champions like Qiyana, Sylas, and Irelia, and can be used as a flex to follow the last two to either solo lane and smash them.
- To keep it short, he’s not a mid lane champion but he’s used as an option to counter mid laners and be used as a flex pick.
- He’s by no means considered to be a staple mid and is more so a symptom of the current meta.
- If you see that juicy melee assassin matchup, feel free to lock him in but there’s just too many ranged matchups for him to be viable as a blind pick.
Thanks for reading and watching! We’ll see you next time for Patch 9.18. As always, you can reach out to our team on Discord if you have any questions or feel free to leave a comment below.