Q&A: Patch 9.15’s Tier List
Every patch, our experts curate a predictive tier list for climbing solo queue. We created this Q&A series to address the most common questions for each individual tier list, this one is for Patch 9.15. If you’d like your question to be answered, leave a comment in our tier list article, in our Youtube video’s comments, or send us a message in our Discord.
We don’t answer every question but we do read all of them so you always have a chance! Note that some answers within this article may be slightly altered for readability.
If you want to know the best champs to climb with this patch, here’s our LoL tier list for Patch 9.15. If you want to know what our experts thought of the patch as a whole, check out our 9.15 Patch Breakdown.
1. Why is Zed trending downwards?
2. This tier list is inaccurate, how is Vlad only B-tier?
3. Why isn’t Anivia as good in high ELO?
4. How is Shaco the same tier as Lee Sin, Sejuani, and Kayn?
5. Does Caitlyn deserve better?
Questions and Answers
1. “Hey wait why is Zed going down? Not even gonna talk about him huh?” – Κατερίνα Ξαγοράρη (Youtube)
- In Patch 9.13, Zed was doing extremely well in both Diamond + and Masters +. Zed throughout his career has been very meta dependent when it comes to how strong he is.
- Once 9.14 hit and then now in 9.15, he has declined in both the diamond+ and Masters + brackets. Normally using just one of these brackets isn’t enough to come up with a concrete trend but when both are on a downwards trend for multiple patches then it is safe to say that Zed is in the decline.
- This is likely due to the shift in support picks and the mid meta. After 9.13, most top tier supports (such as Rakan, Thresh, and Bard) can stuff Zed easily.
- In mid lane, matchups that he hates such as Swain and Qiyana are becoming more popular while matchups he used to win against, such as Cassiopeia, or some skill matchups like versus Fizz, TF, and Katarina are no longer severely in his favor thanks to new build innovations or kit changes.
2. “This is the most inaccurate tier list, how is Vlad B tier?” – RealmKnights (Youtube)
- We get this about Vlad a lot since many other tier lists rank him higher. In our opinion, this is done just to appease the viewers and there is no real basis for thinking he’s some OP god level unbeatable champion.
- Yes he is annoying to lane versus, yes pool is annoying and yes he is very hard to stop when he gets ahead.
- HOWEVER, he is a lategame scaling champion with no lane priority in mid lane who offers nothing from behind in a meta that is very fast paced and snowball oriented.
- Many of his most popular counter picks like Cassio, Malz, and Swain are also strong currently. Not only that but his winrate is usually hovering around 50 percent below.
- This is very much a case of game trauma where players tend to remember the Vlad who 1v9’s and not the other 7 Vlad games where he little to no impact, this tends to be the reason why Zed and Yasuo’s ban rates are extremely high as well.
3. “Hey, Anivia is A tier in low ELO and in high ELO she is B Tier. Can you explain why she isn’t so good in higher elo?” – Loldestroyer6.0 (Instagram)
- In low ELO, Anivia has some major tools that help her win consistently more games.
- The first is how safe she is due to her passive and overall defensive kit.
- The other thing that helps her out is macro play tends to involve a lot of 5 man grouping at lower levels so Anivia can easily stall the game until she reaches enough items to solo carry.
- The issue with her in high elo is that the mid meta is very skirmish and rotation oriented.
- Anivia isn’t able to keep up with this high movement based playstyle since she can’t pressure towers well nor can she roam well with how low her base MS is, so despite her ability to stall, the rest of her lanes will be too far behind for it to matter.
4. “Shaco is same the tier as Lee Sin, Sejuani, and Kayn? Are you people mentally functional?” – Nate Trace (Facebook)
- Shaco, Lee Sin, Sejuani, and Kayn are all around the 48 to 50 percent win rate marker for all ranks. Although we don’t take just winrates into consideration, all of these champions have good enough playrates that the stats can be reliable.
- We’re aware that Shaco has bugs and that Shaco mains claim he’s one the worst champ in the game and should not be compared to popular picks like Kayn or Lee but facts are Lee Sin and Kayn are popular because they are fun, but just like Ezreal and Lucian, they just don’t win that much when played by the avg player.
- The popularity of a champion does not = strength though it may warp your perception of it. In terms of numbers, Shaco is a B tier champion because despite how bad he feels to play and how much worse he is compared to before, he still wins just as much as Kayn and way more than Lee and Sej.
- Just imagine how good he’d be when his bugs are fixed.
5. “Cait deserved better PepeHands” – akalari_ (Twitter)
- Caitlyn definitely is not deserving of a better ranking or anything for that matter. She’s been in a good spot now for some time.
- Her ability to push consistently and dominate the laning phase in the current meta solidifies her place in A-tier.
Thanks for reading and watching! We’ll see you next time for Patch 9.15. As always, you can reach out to our team on Discord if you have any questions or feel free to leave a comment below.