Q&A: Patch 9.13’s Tier List
Every patch, our experts curate a predictive tier list for climbing solo queue. We created this Q&A series to address the most common questions for each individual tier list, this one is for Patch 9.13. If you’d like your question to be answered, leave a comment in our tier list article, in our Youtube video’s comments, or send us a message in our Discord.
We don’t answer every question but we do read all of them so you always have a chance! Note that some answers within this article may be slightly altered for readability.
If you want to know the best champs to climb with this patch, here’s our LoL tier list for Patch 9.13. If you want to know what our experts thought of the patch as a whole, check out our 9.13 Patch Breakdown.
1. Why is Rengar top on the high-ELO list but not the low-ELO one?
2. Why is Volibear an S-tier jungler?
3. Is Cassiopeia good now?
4. Should Syndra be S-tier after the buff?
5. Any opinions on Lissandra in Gold to Plat ELO?
Questions and Answers
1. “Why is Rengar top removed from low-ELO list but remains in the high elo one? I know you said he has bad matchups, but matchups and matchup knowledge should matter more the higher you go right?
So if he is removed from low-ELO tier list bc of matchups I don’t really understand why he stayed in high-ELO one, where mistakes matter much much more.” – シャドウ (Youtube)
- You’re right on thinking that matchup strength can matter more at a higher level because people will be able to punish these smaller advantages more. The difference in this particular case though comes from the difference in the burden of knowledge.
- For example, the TF versus Fizz matchup. At lower levels of play, the Fizz wins because the TF is required to know more about the game to survive Fizz’s all in. But once that level of wave control knowledge is reached, the TF side can actually be considered the stronger side of the matchup.
- This is the same for a lot of Rengars matchups in top lane. he is required to know a higher threshold about the game for him to start turning around some of his matchups.
2. “Why is Volibear considered S tier jungle over some of the other picks in A tier? His early/mid game ganks are so difficult to pull off compared to some of the A tier choices and his late game presence never feels that much greater than say, Sejuani or Hecarim. Am I missing something?” – Bio 667 (Youtube)
- So you’re correct in thinking his late game is worse than those champions, but where he exels the most compared to those champs is in early to mid game skirmishes. He is quite literally a monster at lower levels of play when it comes to skirmishes due to his execute and passive healing. Everyone forgets about the deceptive amount of damage his ult brings.
- Due to how often these type of uncoordinated fights break out and due to the lack of proper kiting ability, Voli ends up running over the early mid game on his own most of the time.
- As for feeling like his early ganks are weak they shouldn’t feel like that, especially because his E can interrupt a lot of dash or jumps. One of his best tactics is just to hard camp a lane with no Flash as his ganks don’t require long setup like Amumu he just needs his Q.
- Try punishing Flash-less lanes a lot harder than you do now if you want to find more success on the bear.
3. “Is Cassiopeia good now?” – Kavilo (Discord)
- She’s seen a bit more play lately at higher ELOs but I still wouldn’t personally consider her an amazing pick. She struggles to impact the early game at the moment and has no way to impact side lanes in a bot-centric meta.
- Diana also needs a frontline to be an impactful champion and loses to long range mages like Lux or assassins if she doesn’t play perfectly. She requires a team to peel for her and let her scale.
- This makes her too conditional in a meta that is very snowball reliant. Now if the intended changes to RoA or Rylai’s go through on the PBE you could see her make a comeback where she is strong enough on 1 or 2 items to solo impact fights.
- Currently, she just isn’t able to come online fast enough to be considered a good solo queue champion unless you are some kind of snake lady god.
4. “Syndra should be S tier after the buff ” – KeilyanLord (Twitter)
- I’m pretty sure this person is just memeing but I will use this topic to talk about Syndra a bit. Though buffing her mana is nice it is not a strong buff overall for her as she isn’t really considered a DPS type control mage whose main job is to spam spells to get DPS in fights, she is more of a burst / pick mage. This means the extra mana feels nice but can be pointless a lot of the time.
- I understand why Riot did this kind of buff though and it’s because she is a tricky champion to balance. In the past, whenever they give buffs to her main spells like damage on Q, she ended up bullying lane too hard. In the right hands, she just snowballs the entire game with her insane solo kill and gank setup followed by roaming around the map with her lane priority.
- If you make her laning too weak though, she loses a lot of her identity in the early game. She lacks the godlike late game of champions like Viktor, Cassiopeia, or Anivia to back up the fact her laning is weaker. That’s why Riot did such a cautious buff to her.
5. “Any opinions on Lissandra in gold to plat ELO?” – smol_orianna (Instagram)
- Lissandra used to be the perfect autofill choice for mid lane due to how safe and consistent she was. Ever since the nerfs to Q’s CD and Aftershock, she hasn’t been the same and I would not recommend her as a main champion for any ELO.
- She lost what made her good which was her lane priority and ability to shove in any champion. Now, she can’t do that anymore and would get destroyed by a lot of champions who outrange her like Lux.
- She can be used as a counterpick still if you really like her. Try picking her into high mobility melee champs like Fizz, Akali, and Irelia as she can still bully them and deny them the chance to teamfight properly. 100 percent, make sure to avoid picking her into long range mages though as she will just get murdered in lane.
Thanks for reading and watching! We’ll see you next time for Patch 9.13. As always, you can reach out to our team on Discord if you have any questions or feel free to leave a comment below.