Whoops, looks like you’ve found an older tier list. Here’s the new tier list 8.17
Welcome to the Mobalytics Predictive Tier List for League of Legends for Patch 8.7!
This list was curated in collaboration with our analyst, Hewitt “prohibit” Benson, our Challenger Coach, Adam “Morïarty” Isles, and our newest team member, Kellen “Exil” Pontius. Unlike most tier lists, we publish ours before, or as a patch goes live, according to the predictions of our in-house experts.
Here are the Patch 8.7 notes for reference.
If you have any questions about our choices or process, ask us on Discord!
The Format and Methodology
One quick note is that our difficulty rating has been slightly reworked after much feedback. Previously, difficulty ratings were solely based on champion mechanical cap or ceiling. This is why cases like Lux and Aurelion Sol were in the same boat in terms of our old difficulty. Aurelion Sol involves more game knowledge and understanding and is by definition a hard champion, but Lux is also a champion with 4 skill shots, so we took that into consideration.
We appreciate your feedback, and we have now changed it from focusing on mechanical difficulty to “Learning Curve”. This will be much more designed around the philosophy of how hard a champion is to play assuming you are brand new to them, or the role itself. Just remember that difficulty and skill are always subjective!
Disclaimer #1: If a champion isn’t on our Tier List, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you can’t climb with them. You’ll just have to put in more effort to get similar results as our Optimal, Great, and Good choices for climbing.
Disclaimer #2: This list is meant to evaluate the champions that we believe are best for climbing Solo Queue. Although there can certainly be some overlap, we are NOT looking to name the champions that are the best in pro-play or organized, competitive 5 on 5. This is why champs that require a ton of team coordination such as Ryze, may not be included or ranked highly.
Siege Minions are worth…how much now!?
- Kha’zix had some beneficial changes on 8.6 and now he’s even stronger due to Ninja Tabis being nerfed. AD assassins are going to be much better, in general, this patch and he is no exception.
- Cait’s ability to win easily and then transition that lead into taking objectives is bar none the highest of any ADC right now. She also has one of the strongest late games, making her the embodiment of “win lane, win game”.
- With Supports like Nami and Janna running rampant in solo queue, Blitz is rising as the Optimal answer. Make those Enchanter mains hate you for destroying them with the robot, HA HA HA.
On the decline
- Shaco is no longer the best Jungler due to his nerfs this patch, but he’s still a very scary clown. His early game, jungle pressure, and late game scaling for split pushing cannot be ignored, but we’re dropping him from Optimal to Great
- Kayle is falling out of Optimal simply because Rageblade got a 300 gold increase, so her power will be slightly delayed now. She’s still really good for Top lane and decent for Mid as well.
- Cassiopeia was already a hard champion to play but with the changes to Presence of Mind, she’s losing a ton of her harass and wave clear. As a result, she’s dropping to Good.
- Aurelion Sol is also someone who loved the old Presence of Mind and will feel the effect of its nerfs. The minion changes will hurt his ability to roam and will leave him in more vulnerable situations since he has to stay in lane longer.
- The nerfs to Rageblade were obviously bound to negatively affect Jhin, but the expected rise of assassins will also give him trouble so we’re dropping him from Optimal to Great.
- Twitch struggles to get his items quickly due to the dominance of the Xayah, Kai’Sa, Caitlyn trio. He can still carry late game but the difficulty is keeping him below Optimal. Funny enough, he seems to be an okay Jungler these days – we aren’t suggesting you troll your games, but maybe just some food for thought.
- Our experts have played the new Irelia quite a bit and we feel comfortable saying she is a Good champion this patch. What makes her different from the old Irelia is her overall burst. You’ll find the Q doing much less damage than before, but she has a bunch of ways to use it and reset it now. A really cool champ for sure!
- This champion does so much damage it blows our minds. Whether it’s with Lethal Tempo, Press the Attack, Dark Harvest, or the new Conqueror, it seems that he can kill everyone in solo queue. In higher ranks, he will fall off but for everyone else, consider dropping a ban on this guy.
- Udyr is just out of contention for Optimal. He does a lot of damage, has a great clear, top-notch ganks, and can even split push a bit. The man-bear-pig can do it all.
- Ninja Tabis was nerfed, enough said.
- There is an AP/On-hit Varus build floating around solo queue and it seems to be pretty legit. Rageblade into Nashor’s Tooth seems to be a great build for him.
- Jinx is still really good and if she gets to her late game or gets snowballing she is incredibly scary, but so are the assassins who want to murder her. You can still climb with her this patch, but you’ll have to be more careful.
- Thresh is rising for the same reasons as Blitz (counters Enchanters), but he’s a bit less reliable due to his higher difficulty and skill ceiling.
- Fid Support is back! He has returned because he’s surprisingly good into Enchanter Supports due to his heavy poke and all-in potential.
As always, we welcome all discussion and feedback. If you have any questions about picks that we didn’t expand on or would like to let us know how you feel about Patch 8.7 and our predictions in general, join us in our Discord!