Whoops, looks like you’ve found an older tier list. Here’s the new new tier list 8.14
Welcome to the Mobalytics Predictive Tier List for League of Legends for Patch 8.8!
This list was curated in collaboration with our analyst, Hewitt “prohibit” Benson, our Challenger Coach, Adam “Morïarty” Isles, and Kellen “Exil” Pontius. Unlike most tier lists, we publish ours before, or as a patch goes live, according to the predictions of our in-house experts.
Here are the Patch 8.8 notes for reference.
If you have any questions about our choices or process, ask us on Discord!
The Format and Methodology
One quick note is that our difficulty rating has been slightly reworked after much feedback. Previously, difficulty ratings were solely based on champion mechanical cap or ceiling. This is why cases like Lux and Aurelion Sol were in the same boat in terms of our old difficulty. Aurelion Sol involves more game knowledge and understanding and is by definition a hard champion, but Lux is also a champion with 4 skill shots, so we took that into consideration.
We appreciate your feedback, and we have now changed it from focusing on mechanical difficulty to “Learning Curve”. This will be much more designed around the philosophy of how hard a champion is to play assuming you are brand new to them, or the role itself. Just remember that difficulty and skill are always subjective!
Disclaimer #1: If a champion isn’t on our Tier List, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you can’t climb with them. You’ll just have to put in more effort to get similar results as our Optimal, Great, and Good choices for climbing.
Disclaimer #2: This list is meant to evaluate the champions that we believe are best for climbing Solo Queue. Although there can certainly be some overlap, we are NOT looking to name the champions that are the best in pro-play or organized, competitive 5 on 5. This is why champs that require a ton of team coordination such as Ryze, may not be included or ranked highly.
The Deceiver has returned to her former self
UPDATES as of 4/26:
- Graves B to S
- Xin Zhao A to S
- Nidalee removed
- LeBlanc S to A
- Ahri A to B
- Draven A to S
- Rakan A to S
- LeBlanc has been reverted to her old kit that we all know and love (and love to hate). She has basically been tuned to everything she used to be such as her passive working when she drops below 40% hp, her mark on her Q, and her Q no longer bounces for waveclear. After testing her a bit on PBE as well as remembering how good the old Leblanc was for solo queue, we think she’ll become an Optimal pick, but do keep in mind that this is a prediction.
- Shaco is back to Optimal! We previously thought that the nerfs he received would impact him more but we were wrong. We simply can’t ignore his ability to take over games and 1 shot carries.
- Udyr is the low ELO god of solo queue and he smashes everyone on his way to Masters and Challenger. The champ probably won’t see any competitive play in the near future because he’s terrible against really good players and organized teams, but for Junglers on the ladder, he is absolutely Optimal.
- With the rise of Janna comes the rise of Sona. Sona struggles against engage champions but flourishes when other Enchanters become meta. She scales the best out of all the Supports and other Enchanters simply can’t put enough pressure on her during lane phase to prevent her inevitable scaling.
- Sometimes we get a little overzealous with our placements. Although Blitzcrank is undeniably Great for solo queue and will win you games through a single hook, he still isn’t on the level of our Optimal choices. With high highs come low lows, and that level of inconsistency puts Blitzcrank a tier below the Enchanter overlords who will always be doing well despite the game state.
On the decline
- Fiora is a strong solo queue champion but there are a lot of games where she doesn’t have the ability to take over the laning phase by herself. This leads to the early game being dictated by your team and sometimes prevents you from being able to start your split push in the first place. Due to these factors of unreliability, we’ve moved her down to Great.
- Aatrox is still a fantastic pick your Top lane but at the moment he doesn’t have the same mid/late game fighting impact that his Optimal peers have.
- Due to the nerf to his Phase Rush usage from his E, and because of the rise of bully champs, Swain is going to start to struggle a bit more in solo queue. He’ll still be a Good champion but he’ll be underwhelming in comparison to his over-tuned former self.
- Anivia has been Optimal for a long time but she’ll be losing a lot with the nerfs to Archangel Staff. Her reduced ability to impact the early game will hurt her chances of winning in solo queue.
- Like Anivia, Zilean relies on Archangel’s staff. It’s received so many nerfs that his early power should suffer and cause his win rate to take a hit.
Picks of the week
This is a new section that will have suggestions of off-meta/sleeper picks from our three experts. These are mostly predictions but don’t be surprised if they start rising in the near future!
Prohibit – Vi (Top)
- The buffs in the 8.8 patch notes feel more geared to make her more viable in the top lane. The E mana reduction matters more in lane where she doesn’t have access to blue buff. Her passive shield and Q CD are also more helpful in making trades than jungle clears. She has good poke, gank assist, 1v1 potential, and escapes and I can see her early game being a lot more accessible with the changes.
Moriarty – Nocturne (Mid)
- He’s been a sleeper pick for a little bit after his buffs since he can now 1 shot minions waves and has great sustain. His ability to roam is nice and he has good counter matchups to some popular mids like Twisted Fate, Fizz, or even Aurelion Sol.
Exil – Kennen (Mid/Top w/ particular itemization)
- Spellbinder and Shurelya’s Reverie are interesting choices on Kennen as the movespeed causes him to be able to engage very effectively. He isn’t meta right now because he takes a long time to get going but what I like about him is that he has so much potential to snowball and carry team fights.
As always, we welcome all discussion and feedback. If you have any questions about picks that we didn’t expand on or would like to let us know how you feel about Patch 8.8 and our predictions in general, join us in our Discord!