Whoops, looks like you’ve found an older tier list. Here’s the new tier list 8.17
Welcome to the Mobalytics Predictive Tier List for League of Legends for Patch 8.13!
This list was curated in collaboration with our analyst, Hewitt “prohibit” Benson, our Challenger Coach, Adam “Morïarty” Isles, and Kellen “Exil” Pontius. Unlike most tier lists, we publish ours before, or as a patch goes live, according to the predictions of our in-house experts.
Here are the Patch 8.13 notes for reference.
If you have any questions about our choices or process, ask us on Discord!
The Format and Methodology
If you’re wondering how we make our tier list, check out our video explanation!
One quick note is that our difficulty rating has been slightly reworked after much feedback. Previously, difficulty ratings were solely based on champion mechanical cap or ceiling. This is why cases like Lux and Aurelion Sol were in the same boat in terms of our old difficulty. Aurelion Sol involves more game knowledge and understanding and is by definition a hard champion, but Lux is also a champion with 4 skill shots, so we took that into consideration.
We appreciate your feedback, and we have now changed it from focusing on mechanical difficulty to “Learning Curve”. This will be much more designed around the philosophy of how hard a champion is to play assuming you are brand new to them, or the role itself. Just remember that difficulty and skill are always subjective!
Disclaimer #1: If a champion isn’t on our Tier List, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you can’t climb with them. You’ll just have to put in more effort to get similar results as our Optimal, Great, and Good choices for climbing.
Disclaimer #2: This list is meant to evaluate the champions that we believe are best for climbing Solo Queue. Although there can certainly be some overlap, we are NOT looking to name the champions that are the best in pro-play or organized, competitive 5 on 5. This is why champs that require a ton of team coordination such as Ryze, may not be included or ranked highly.
- This bloodthirsty Yordle is being bumped up in learning curve and charging into Optimal. Kled has the ability to completely take over a game – his 1v1 potential is incredibly strong and he can take a lead and transition it into fights on demand with his ultimate. He’s the perfect champ to reward you for outplaying your opponents.
- It’s a nightmare when players don’t respect Nocturne’s ultimate. A combination of Riot buffing his sustain and ultimate as well as players beginning to optimize his rune set up with Lethal Tempo have made him a killing machine. He can be a double-edged sword because although it might be easy to get ahead on Nocturne and win the games, it’s also easy to throw your lead with bad engages.
- Zed players are loving the nerfs to shield Supports. It’s much easier to assassinate juicy carries when a pesky Janna or Lulu can’t grant an extra 1000 health as reliably. Enjoy the easier kills but be careful not to throw your 1k gold bounty and allow them to get back in the game with a shutdown.
- You might be wondering why the late game scaling bird is so high up on the list in an early game focused meta but she actually has amazing kill pressure during laning phase. She has access to 220 magic damage with a 1.9 AP scaling at level 2, meaning that if she can land a few Flash Frosts, she can quickly become a big bird. When you combine that with the fact that there is a big influx of melee and close range champs around, Anivia has an easier time controlling the battlefield going into the mid and late game as well.
- Brand brings the pain to the bottom lane and can erase you no matter how well you were doing if you get hit by one combo. Brand is a safe, Optimal pick whether you’re the carry or Support because of his strong laning phase and damage potential throughout a match. Don’t worry about not being able to bring consistent damage for things like Baron because the most important thing right now is to have a strong presence throughout the early and mid stages of the game (which Brand brings in spades)
- The Caretaker’s Shrine buff really helped Bard’s laning phase to be more well-rounded. He still has awesome burst potential with Electrocute, meeps, and Cosmic Binding but it’s much easier to play a more consistent and attrition based laning phase if the situation calls for it. He’s very rewarding if you’re able to get over his learning curve when it comes to roaming and using his abilities properly.
- Most traditional Marksmen aren’t doing well but Jinx has still been putting in work. Unlike most traditional ADC’s, she has ways to take advantage of chaotic situations. She is still susceptible to assassins but with how aggressive games have become she also gains more opportunities to get excited and snowball. Make sure you grab an early Stormrazor to become relevant quickly. Oh, and don’t forget to ban Zed!
On the decline
- Camille’s Hookshot does everything…burst damage, attack speed steroid, escape, engage, wave clear…it’s no wonder why most of her mains max it first. With the recent nerfs to it, we believe that she will slow down enough to bring her from Optimal to Great. She’s still super flexible so don’t be surprised if a new build pops up that brings her back to Optimal, but for now, let other people figure that out.
- Darius really benefited from the synergy between Sterak’s Gage and Trinity Force – the pairing really helped him get the extra damage needed to burst down his opponents and execute them. Although still strong, his dunks just won’t be the same. He’s falling to Great.
- Singed will definitely still be annoyingly strong and will play exactly like he used to, however, he’ll be a little bit weaker in every aspect stat-wise. His nerfs drop him from Optimal to Great.
Yi + Taric combo
- RIP Yi. Riot has targeted Master Yi’s ability to clear minion waves quickly so his ability to power farm in a funneling strategy will be severely hurt.
Karthus + Nunu combo
- RIP Nunu. Another funnel duo bites the dust (or snow?). The Riot balance team is probably fine with Nunu being on the weak side because it seems he’ll be getting a rework soon. May the dumpster be kind to you, friend.
- The stronger a champ becomes, the more eyes that it gets. It was only a matter of time before Riot hit Irelia with hefty nerfs across the board. She was too dominant in multiple roles a high presence and ban rate in pro-play. For our solo queue tier list, shes dropping from Optimal to Great.